This slow cooker black bean soup is so warm and delicious on a cool fall day! This soup simmers for hours in the crockpot resulting in a wonderful flavor and texture. Serve this with some cornbread and enjoy a relaxing dinner.
This cozy vegan black bean soup is a current favorite at our house. It’s filling, tasty, and so easy to make in the slow cooker. This is one of those recipes that takes just a few minutes to prepare but packs a flavorful punch.
Using canned black beans and store bought salsa help this soup come together quickly. When you serve this with gluten free crackers, cornbread, and guacamole, you have a delicious meal that’s sure to become a favorite.
- Canned Black Beans – I used canned black beans, and you will want to drain and rinse one can, and use the other can with its juices.
- Salsa – Feel free to use your favorite jarred salsa. We used a medium spice level, which was right for our family.
- Broth – Use the brand of vegetable broth that works for your dietary needs. You could also use chicken broth if you aren’t vegan.
- Spices – Chili powder, Italian seasoning, smoked paprika, and cumin add lots of flavor to this soup. We like McCormick spices because of their allergen protocols, but be sure to call and check on any spice brand to make sure it’s safe for you.
- Salt – You may need to add more salt to this soup. I kept the amount a little lower, since store bought broth and salsa can vary widely regarding sodium content. Once it’s done cooking, taste it and add more salt if needed.
Step by Step Instructions
- Place the olive oil, chopped onions, and chopped peppers in the slow cooker.
- Add the black beans, salsa, spices, and broth.
- Cook in the slow cooker on high for 4 hours, or on low for 6 hours.
- Once the soup is done cooking, use an immersion blender to puree the soup slightly.
Stove Top Instructions
You could make this on the stove if you need to. You will need to put all the ingredients in a large pot, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and cover the pot. Simmer for about an hour. The soup may not have quite as nice of a flavor, since the slow cooker is a longer cook time.
Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It should stay fresh for about 4 days.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup (Vegan, Gluten Free).
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 28 ounces black beans Two 14 ounce cans – one drained, one with juices
- 8 ounces salsa
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 20 ounces vegetable broth or chicken broth
- Place the olive oil, chopped onion, chopped red pepper, and minced garlic in a 6 quart slow cooker.
- Add the black beans – one can drained and rinsed, and the other can with its juices. Add the salsa, spices, and broth. Stir the ingredients together.
- Put the cover on the slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6 hours.
- Once the soup is done, use an immersion blender to partially puree the soup until it reaches your desired consistency. Season with more salt if desired.
- Top with avocado, corn chips, tomatoes, fresh cilantro, and anything else you like.