Vegan and gluten free linzer cookies are a beautiful sweet treat for Valentine’s Day or any occasion. A dusting of powdered sugar makes these cookies look delicate and delicious.
So…what do you do for Valentine’s Day? Bake? Go out to dinner? Buy roses and chocolates and cards? Skip the whole deal?
We keep it pretty simple here. We do celebrate, because what’s not to like about a holiday that celebrates love? But we stay pretty low key – homemade valentines, some baking, maybe some chocolate, and the boys and I make heart shaped pizzas for dinner. Usually it’s just the three of us, because Darryl will be playing a gig somewhere. Because love = jazz piano. ;)
We are doing something a little different this year – we are having a valentine exchange party with some homeschooling friends. I baked these vegan and gluten free linzer cookies yesterday for the party which is later this morning, actually. The boys are excited to pass out their cards, which are super glittery. I need to buy stock in glitter glue – we go through a ton of that stuff.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Gluten Free Linzer Cookies.
Vegan and gluten free linzer cookies are filled with jam and dusted with sugar for a beautiful and delicious treat!
- Place the vegan buttery spread and the sugar in a mixing bowl and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the unsweetened applesauce and mix until combined.
- Add the salt and the gluten free flour a half cup at a time and mix on low speed.
- The dough will be quite thick. Divide in half and pat into two discs. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for two hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Unwrap one disc of dough and dust with gluten free flour. Dust the rolling pin and surface as well.
- Roll the dough to a 1/4 inch thickness. Use a linzer cookie cutter to cut out cookies, and then to cut out the shapes for the top layer.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. Let cool fully. Repeat above steps with remaining dough.
- Dust the tops of the cutout layer with powdered sugar.
- Spread jam on the bottom halves of the cookies. Place the cutout cookie on top. Enjoy!
These pretty cookies are just perfect for Valentine’s Day or any day, really…they are buttery and delicious when filled with jam and dusted with powdered sugar. Not a jam fan? Melt some chocolate and use that instead!
I used some Linzer cookie cutters I found online and I really like them. They’re easy to use, and the perfect size – not too large, not too small.
More filling ideas for these gluten free linzer cookies:
- melted chocolate
- lemon curd
- any flavor of jam that you like