Homemade apple chips are a sweet treat that’s healthy, too! You don’t need a dehydrator, these are easy to make in your oven.
Crispy, sweet apple chips – is there a more perfect fall snack? These little treats are easy to make, and you don’t need a dehydrator. You can use your oven!
The first time I tried using my oven to dehydrate something was when I made oven-dried tomatoes. I had a few ideas about what else to dehydrate – zucchini chips, sweet potato chips, some kind of fruit leather…but in the end, apple chips won. We love apple chips, and since it’s September and apples are EVERYWHERE, I thought this would be a good seasonal recipe.
I’ve seen a few different recipes for homemade apple chips, and the baking time seems to vary. I had to bake these chips for longer than I expected. I think the trick is to keep a good eye on them. If your oven runs hotter or cooler, your baking time may be different from mine.
I decided to dust these with a blend of coconut sugar and cinnamon, and they were delicious! So easy to make, and a very tasty fall snack.
How to make apple chips:
- Slice the apples very thin. Remove the seeds.
- Place the apple slices on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Dust with cinnamon and sugar.
- Bake the apple chips at 225 degrees for 1 1/2 – 2 1/2 hours. Check them often, and remove any that are crispy.
- Store in an airtight container, or enjoy them all right away!
How long do homemade apple chips last?
These apple chips should last for up to a week when stored in an airtight container.
What kind of apples should I use to make apple chips?
Most types of apples should work well in this recipe. Try Gala, Fuji, Honeycrisp, Granny Smith, or Pink Lady.
Tips to make the best apple chips:
- Slice your apples as thin as you can. The thinner the apples, the crisper the chips.
- Use parchment paper so that you can easily remove the chips from the cookie sheet.
- Check the apples often to make sure they don’t burn.
These homemade apple chips are:
- crunchy and sweet
- a healthy gluten free treat
- naturally allergy friendly
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Healthy Homemade Apple Chips.
Crispy and delicious homemade apple chips dusted with coconut sugar and cinnamon. This is a treat that the whole family will love!
Slice the apples very thin - the thinner they are the crisper they will be! I sliced them so that the seeds would make a star shape in the middle of each chip. Once you get to where the seeds are, just pop them out with the tip of a knife.
- Lay the apple slices on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle the coconut sugar and cinnamon over the apple chips.
- Bake at 225 degrees for about 1.5 - 2.5 hours. Oven temperatures vary, so after about an hour, you make want to check on the apples periodically.
- Once the edges are curled up and the apples are dried and crisp, remove the cookie sheet from the oven. Let the chips cool. then eat! Or store in an airtight container.
This post was originally published in September 2014. It has been updated with new tips and information.
These are really tasty, and it’s very hard to eat just one!
Have you dehydrated anything in your oven before?