Need a quick snack in the middle of the day? These no-bake coconut chocolate energy bites are the perfect pick me up! Chewy, chocolatey, and coated with coconut flakes, these gluten free treats are the perfect after school snack.
Some things are just meant to be together, right? Peanut butter and jelly. Spaghetti and meatballs. Netflix and pizza. And perhaps my all-time favorite combo…coconut and chocolate.
Chocolate goes so well with many ingredients, but there’s just something extra delicious about coconut and chocolate. Maybe it goes back to my childhood love of Mounds bars, but I just can’t say no to a coconut chocolate dessert.
These energy balls are the ultimate quick and easy treat – they took about five minutes to whip up. I love to make a batch of these and then store them in the fridge – that way, when I need a little something sweet, I can grab one (or two!) of these. And since they contain healthier ingredients like coconut and hemp seeds, they give me a little energy without a big sugar crash.
- Medjool Dates – It can be tricky to find dates that are not cross contaminated with nuts. I know many brands are packaged in the same facility as nuts or peanuts. A brand to look into is Sun Date, which was a date-only facility the last time I checked. Of course, you should always contact the company yourself to make sure a product is safe for you.
- Hemp Seeds – If you can’t have hemp seeds, you can add sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds instead. If you prefer to leave the seeds out, you can add some shredded coconut.
- Coconut Flakes – I love the addition of coconut to this recipe, but if you have a coconut allergy, feel free to substitute rolled oats or more hemp seed hearts.
Try adding any of the following ingredients to this recipe for a little variety:
- chia seeds
- dried cherries
- mini chocolate chips
- white chocolate chips
- pumpkin seeds
- protein powder
You can store energy bites for up to a week in the refrigerator, or up to three months in the freezer.
Make a big batch of these and have them ready for your week. I love to have easy gluten free snacks like this on hand for when I am having an extra busy week. They’re the perfect thing to grab when I’m headed out to do errands or go on a field trip with my boys.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Coconut Chocolate Energy Bites.
- Place the dates, hemp seed hearts, coconut flour, and cocoa powder in a food processor, and pulse until the dates are chopped and everything is combined.
- Add the maple syrup and process until a thick dough is formed.
- Roll the mixture into one inch balls.
- Put the coconut flakes into a bowl and roll the balls in it to coat.
- Store energy bites in the refrigerator.