Summertime is the perfect time to enjoy a homemade ice cream sandwich! This sweet treat is made with chewy chocolate chip cookies and vanilla ice cream, making it a winner with kids and adults alike!
It’s been super hot here lately. I love the summer sunshine, but when it’s so hot, we need to make an effort to cool off with fun summer drinks and desserts.
We started out with our favorite recipe for gluten free vegan chocolate chip cookies, and sandwiched dairy free vanilla ice cream in between. We then rolled the edges in mini chocolate chips – so delicious!
- Gluten Free Flour Blend – I love Namaste Perfect Flour Blend for cookie baking. The texture is just right for making perfectly chewy chocolate chip cookies.
- Egg Replacer – I used unsweetened applesauce as an egg replacer for these cookies. You can also use a flax seed egg or mashed banana.
- Dairy Free Ice Cream – I used So Delicious Vanilla Coconut Milk Ice Cream. You could use any dairy free ice cream that suits your dietary needs, including banana nice cream.
- Dairy Free Chocolate Chips – I used Enjoy Life Mini Chocolate Chips. You could also use chocolate chips made by PASCHA Chocolate. For a festive touch, try rolling these ice cream sandwiches in sprinkles.
Step by Step Instructions
- Mix up the cookie dough.
- Use a one inch scoop to scoop the cookie dough onto the baking sheets. Flatten the balls of dough slightly.
- Let the cookies cool completely on the baking sheet.
- Scoop dairy free ice cream onto the cooled cookies.
- Roll the ice cream sandwiches in some mini chocolate chips so that they stick to the ice cream. Enjoy!
You can store these in the freezer for up to one month. I recommend wrapping each ice cream sandwich in waxed paper and then storing them in a plastic freezer bag.
More Dairy Free Dessert Recipes
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches (Gluten Free, Vegan).
Chewy chocolate chip cookies, vanilla ice cream, and mini chocolate chips combine to make the very best homemade ice cream sandwiches.
For the cookies:
- ⅔ cup vegan buttery spread
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar
- ½ cup organic cane sugar
- 1 ½ Tablespoons maple syrup
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ⅛ cups gluten free flour blend I used Namaste Perfect Flour Blend
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cups dairy free chocolate chips
For the ice cream sandwiches:
- 3 pints dairy free vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup dairy free mini chocolate chips
Make the cookies:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
Put the buttery spread and sugars in a mixing bowl, and mix on medium speed until fluffy. Add the unsweetened applesauce, maple syrup, and vanilla extract and mix on medium speed until combined.
Add the gluten free flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix on low speed until combined.
Stop the mixer, and stir in the dairy free chocolate chips.
Use a one inch scoop to spoon the dough on the cookie sheets, leaving about an inch between each cookie. Slightly flatten each cookie with the back of the scoop.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 12 minutes. They will look a little bit underdone, but will cook a little bit more as they cool on the cookie sheet.
Allow the cookies to cool fully before you assemble the ice cream sandwiches.
Assemble the ice cream sandwiches:
Take the pints of ice cream out of the freezer to soften slightly so that the ice cream is easier to scoop.
Pour the mini chocolate chips onto a plate.
Scoop about a ⅓ cup of ice cream onto a cookie. Place another cookie on top. Use a knife to smooth out the edges if necessary, then roll the ice cream sandwich in the mini chocolate chips.
Set the ice cream sandwich on a cookie sheet or tray. Repeat step 3 with the remaining cookies and ice cream.
You may want to stick the ice cream sandwiches in the refrigerator to firm up for about a half an hour so that they aren't too melty when you want to eat them.
Ice cream sandwiches can be stored in the freezer for up to one month.
I used Namaste Perfect Flour Blend in this recipe. You can also use my homemade gluten free flour blend.
If you are not gluten free, you can use regular all-purpose flour, spelt flour, or whole wheat flour.
Nutrition facts are for one ice cream sandwich, which is made with 2 cookies, about a ⅓cup of ice cream, and about a tablespoon of mini chocolate chips.
You can store the ice cream sandwiches in the freezer for up to one month.