Enjoy this homemade magic shell on all your ice cream sundaes – it’s made with simple, healthy ingredients! There’s nothing like the crunch of a chocolate shell on your ice cream – such a nostalgic treat.
Who remembers Magic Shell? Was it something you ate when you were growing up? Didn’t you love putting it on ice cream and then using your spoon to crunch through that chocolatey shell? So fun.
I realized the other day that my boys have never had magic shell. I decided to make a quick and easy refined sugar free version for them to try. I made them each a bowl of ice cream, poured the chocolate on top, and said, “Who wants to try magic shell?” You should have seen their blank faces. “What’s magic shell?” “I know, it’s like a snail shell!”
Yikes. I clearly had missed the mark as far as their ice cream topping education goes. :)
After they tried, it they loved it, of course! And hopefully your family will, too. It’s a fun addition to any occasion that calls for an ice cream sundae.
This homemade magic shell recipe is:
- vegan, gluten free and paleo friendly
- easy to make
- a healthier version of a classic childhood treat
- a great way to use healthy coconut oil (my favorite brand – affiliate link)
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Homemade Magic Shell (Refined Sugar Free).
Delicious crunchy magic shell is the perfect ice cream topping! This healthier version contains coconut oil and is refined sugar free.
- Place the coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl and heat for about 10-15 seconds or until melted.
- Stir in the maple syrup and unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Whisk well with a fork.
- Drizzle generously over the ice cream of your choice.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator. You will need to heat the leftovers before serving.
For an extra chocolatey treat, serve this on homemade vegan chocolate ice cream.