Easy, elegant, delicious, and fun chocolate covered cherries. A simple dessert.
Say hello to your new favorite easy dessert:
Fruit + chocolate is my favorite kind of easy. And we are all about easy recipes at my house these days as I finish up my upcoming ebook, Allergy Free and Delicious. I’m so excited about this ebook – the recipes are brand new, absolutely delicious, and totally free of the top 8 allergens, gluten, and sesame. I just can’t wait to share it with you – it will be released on July 27.
Anyway, back to chocolate covered fruit…I thought that chocolate covered strawberries were my favorite. But now I’m not so sure, because these chocolate covred cherries are pretty amazing. The perfect little bite sized chocolate treat for a dessert tray or just a quick after dinner sweet.
If you had asked me about chocolate covered cherries in the past, I would have said that they had to be dried cherries dipped in chocolate. Mostly because I just am so revolted at the sight of those store-bought chocolate covered cherries that have a lot of goo inside. (Do people like those? They are so not my cup of tea!)
But then Darryl brought home a huge bag of Queen Anne cherries, and I thought it might be fun to dip them in a little chocolate. Annnnnd a few sprinkles just to be festive.
Guys, I was shocked at how delicious these were. No weird cordial oozing out anywhere, just a sweet cherry and chocolate. Perfect.
Of course you can customize these any way you like…use white chocolate, use coconut instead of sprinkles, whatever suits you! They take just a few minutes to make and then about an hour in the refrigerator for the chocolate to firm up.
Chocolate Covered Cherries.
- 30 sweet cherries
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips I used dairy free chocolate chips
- Wash the cherries and remove the stems, setting them aside for decoration.
- Remove the pits from the cherries using a cherry pitter. Set the cherries on a paper towel lined plate to dry.
- Place the chocolate chips in a small sauce pan and heat over medium low heat, stirring occasionally until smooth and melted.
- Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper.
- Place one cherry at a time in the melted chocolate and use a spoon to make sure it gets fully coated. Set the chocolate covered cherries on the prepared cookie sheet and place a stem inside each one. Shake the sprinkles over the cherries while the chocolate is still wet.
- Place the finished cherries in the refrigerator for at least one hour or until the chocolate is set.
- These are best eaten the same day.
These chocolate covered cherries are:
- gluten free and vegan
- totally customizable
- festive and fun
- simple and elegant
- a delicious summer dessert
Have you made any simple desserts lately?