Lemon currant butter cookies are light, delicious, and full of citrus flavor. These are so festive for the holidays!
Disclosure: A big thank you to Glutino for sponsoring this post and the virtual cookie swap. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that support my blog!
Well, here we are…Christmas is just 9 days away. This is the part of the month I like – the part where I start wrapping gifts, watching holiday movies non-stop, planning the Christmas menu, and baking more Christmas cookies.
Have you done a lot of baking this month? Have you had to bake a million cookies for a cookie swap?
I didn’t attend a cookie swap this year, so I was so excited when Glutino invited me to be a part of their virtual cookie swap. A virtual cookie swap is just perfect – I get to be inspired by all the tasty cookies, but I don’t have to be tempted by all of them sitting in my house. :)
I was in the mood to make a light and buttery cookie, and I knew that Glutino All Purpose Flour would be the perfect place to start. This flour blend worked so well in these lemon currant butter cookies – they were crisp and light and baked up perfectly. Rolling this dough out was a treat – I simply floured the rolling pin and the surface and it worked beautifully – no sticking or ripping at all.
I love using citrus zest in my baking – it adds such a nice, bright flavor! Be careful when zesting the lemons – you want to make sure you get the yellow only – no white or it will taste a little bit bitter.
Lemon Currant Butter Cookies
These light and crisp lemon currant cookies are a perfect holiday treat! A gluten free and vegan cookie recipe.
- 1 1/4 cups vegan buttery spread
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 3 cups Glutino All Purpose Flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/2 cup currants
- In a large bowl, whisk together the Glutino All Purpose Flour, salt, and lemon zest. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the vegan buttery spread and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the unsweetened applesauce and mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients a little at a time while mixing on low speed. Once everything is mixed well, turn off the mixer and add the currants and stir by hand.
- Pat the dough into two discs and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for two hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle more Glutino All Purpose Flour on a waxed paper lined surface, and on a rolling pin. Take one of the discs out of the refrigerator and roll it out to about a 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut out round shapes with a two inch fluted cookie cutter. Place the cookies on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 10-12 minutes, or until cookies are lightly golden brown on the edges.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Store cookies in an airtight container.
Nutrition info is for one cookie.
These lemon currant butter cookies are light and delicious, and would make a great addition to your holiday party!
And don’t forget to check out all the other festive and delicious recipes that are a part of the cookie swap!
Chocolate Dipped Snickerdoodles from The Healthy Home Cook
Dark Chocolate Salted Pretzel Cookies from Maebells
Peppermint Bark Cookies from Gluten Free Baking
Cream Cheese Peppermint Pretzel Cookie from Jo Jo and Eloise
Peanut Butter Crunch Cookies from I’m A Celiac
Peanut Butter Reindeer Cookies from Gluten Free Frenzy
No Bake White Chocolate Cinnamon Cookies from Flippin’ Delicious