Crisp red cabbage, carrots, and peppers are coated with a tangy dressing to make this simple slaw. If you’re not a fan of mayo, this slaw is for you! It’s a great side dish for chicken, pork, or burgers.
Coleslaw is a great side dish, especially when you want a recipe you can make ahead of time. It goes really well with lots of main dishes. If you’re having a barbecue, coleslaw is the perfect side to serve with burgers or grilled chicken.
We like creamy coleslaw, like this Vegan KFC Copycat Coleslaw, and we also love lighter versions, like this mayo free slaw.
If you love tangy dressings, this is the recipe for you! The dressing is simply vinegar, olive oil, sugar, salt, and celery seed. It couldn’t be any easier.
I love to use a food processor to shred cabbage – it shreds it so quickly and easily. If you don’t have a food processor, you could use a box grater or even just slice it very thin with a sharp knife.
- use green cabbage if you prefer, or a mix of red and green cabbage
- use a different oil if you don’t have olive oil
- you can leave the peppers out if needed
- leave out the celery salt if you’re not a fan, but I think it adds a lot of flavor
What to serve with cabbage slaw
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Simple Red Cabbage Slaw.
- Fit your food processor with the shredding disc.
- Core the cabbage, and cut into pieces that will fit into the chute of your food processor.
- Shred the cabbage with the food processor.
- Peel the carrot, and shred with the food processor. Core the pepper, and shred it as well.
- Mix the sugar, oil, vinegar, celery seed, and salt together in the bottom of a large bowl.
- Add the shredded cabbage, red peppers, and carrots, and stir to combine.
- Season with more salt if needed. Serve immediately.
This post was originally published in April 2014. It has been updated.