Finely chopped cabbage, carrots, and onion and a creamy, zesty dressing make this vegan KFC copycat coleslaw a big hit at any party! This is the perfect coleslaw recipe – the flavor and texture is just right!
Do you have a favorite fast food that you remember fondly from when you were growing up? Or from before you had food allergies?
For me, that fast food is Kentucky Fried Chicken. (I know! It’s not good for you. But this was way back in the day).
My Grandma Tootsie used to get KFC and bring it over to our house. The fried chicken, the mashed potatoes, the buttermilk biscuits, and the coleslaw…all so good.
And all these years later, I still feel like the KFC coleslaw is the best! I haven’t had it in forever, but the sweet, zesty dressing is still imprinted onto my taste buds.
We love coleslaw, and I do have a few recipes that I make regularly, including this red cabbage version.
Since I really wanted to recreate that flavor, I did a little research, and found some copycat recipes online. Those contained egg and dairy, so I made some changes to make this allergy friendly KFC copycat coleslaw. It tastes SO good…exactly like the original in my opinion!
- Cabbage – Use a standard green cabbage – the kind you can find in any grocery store.
- Carrots and Onion – The onion adds flavor, and the carrots are a standard coleslaw ingredient that adds flavor and a pop of color.
- Non-Dairy Milk – You’ll want to use the non-dairy milk that works for your diet. I used So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage. Any neutral tasting non-dairy milk should be fine.
- Egg Free Mayo – I used Earth Balance Mindful Mayo. If that doesn’t work for you, go ahead and use your favorite mayonnaise.
- Fresh Lemon Juice and Vinegar – These acids help make the dressing nice and tangy.
A food processor is the best way to get the cabbage and carrots finely shredded. Unsure about what the blades or attachments do in your food processor? This guide will help.
Step by Step Instructions
- Use the food processor to finely shred the green cabbage, carrots, and onion. Put the vegetables in a large bowl.
- Rinse out the food processor, and put the dressing ingredients inside. Proces on high speed to mix the dressing.
- Pour the coleslaw dressing over the shredded vegetables.
- Stir well and make sure all the vegetables are covered with dressing. Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving to let the flavors combine.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Vegan KFC Copycat Coleslaw.
- Shred the cabbage, carrot, and onion using the shredding disc in your food processor.
- Remove the shredding disc. Place the shredded cabbage, carrots, and onion in a large bowl. Rinse the food processor parts.
- Place the S blade in the food processor and add all the ingredients for the dressing. Blend on high speed until smooth.
- Pour dressing over the shredded vegetables. Stir. Refrigerate for one hour before serving.
Adapted from this recipe.