A loaf of warm vegan chocolate chip zucchini bread makes a wonderful summer breakfast! This loaf is easy to make, and a great way to use up your garden zucchini.
It was so nice here yesterday – just perfect spring weather. And that made me think of summer, and summer gardening, and all the zucchini we will have a in few months!
Once the garden starts overflowing with zucchini, you can find me baking all the vegan zucchini bread and muffins, and making all the zoodles!
This vegan chocolate chip zucchini bread has been made a few times over here now – it’s a favorite! I love it warm from the oven with the chocolate still melty. It’s so delicious – a perfect snack or breakfast.
This is a healthier loaf for sure – I used whole grain spelt flour, and kept it refined sugar free (except for the chocolate chips).
Is spelt flour gluten free?
No, spelt is an ancient grain that’s related to wheat. It does contain gluten. If you want to make this loaf with gluten free flour, keep reading.
Can this vegan chocolate chip zucchini bread be made with gluten free flour?
This recipe should work with gluten free flour – I would recommend a lighter weight gluten free flour like my gluten free flour blend.
Can you freeze zucchini bread?
Yes, this vegan zucchini bread can be frozen. Just wrap it in plastic wrap or waxed paper, then place inside a ziploc freezer bag. It should stay fresh for up to 3 months in the freezer.
This vegan chocolate chip zucchini bread is:
- moist and delicious
- perfect when warm from the oven
- delicious for breakfast or a snack
If you’re looking for a gluten free and vegan zucchini dessert, be sure to check out this recipe for zucchini cake! I love the spice cake with the creamy frosting – it’s one of our favorites!
And if you have a ton of garden zucchini to use up, you’ll want to try these vegan zucchini muffins, too.
Can you freeze shredded zucchini for later?
Yes, you can freeze shredded zucchini. Just make sure to squeeze out any excess moisture once it’s thawed. Read more about freezing shredded zucchini here.
Can this recipe be made into muffins instead?
Yes, that should work! Just watch the baking time – start out with about 15-17 minutes and see how it goes.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Vegan Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread.
- 3/4 cup shredded zucchini squeezed to remove excess water
- 1/4 cup organic coconut oil measured solid, then melted
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cup whole spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup dairy free mini chocolate chips plus a few more for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper so that it hangs over on both sides.
- Put the shredded zucchini, coconut oil, applesauce, and water in a bowl and stir together.
Add the coconut sugar, maple syrup, and vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Add the spelt flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon and stir well.
- Stir in the dairy free chocolate chips. Spoon the batter into the pan.
- Sprinkle a few more dairy free chocolate chips on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes in the pan, then move to a wire rack to cool completely.
This zucchini bread can be frozen. Wrap the bread in waxed paper or plastic wrap, and then store in a ziploc freezer bag. It should be good for up to 3 months.
If you can't have applesauce, try using mashed banana instead.
Nutrition facts are for 1/8 of a loaf.
This post was originally published in August 2016. It has been updated.