A loaf of warm vegan chocolate chip zucchini bread makes a wonderful summer breakfast! This loaf is easy to make, and a great way to use up your garden zucchini.
It was so nice here yesterday – just perfect spring weather. And that made me think of summer, and summer gardening, and all the zucchini we will have a in few months!
Once the garden starts overflowing with zucchini, you can find me baking all kinds of treats like zucchini donuts, muffins, and this chocolate chip bread. Of course, we also like to make some savory squash dishes like creamy casserole and these lemon zoodles!
This vegan chocolate chip zucchini bread has been made a few times over here now – it’s a favorite! I love it warm from the oven with the chocolate still melty. It’s so delicious – a perfect snack or breakfast.
If you’re looking for a gluten free and vegan zucchini dessert, be sure to check out this zucchini cake! I love this spice cake with the creamy frosting – it’s one of our favorites.
- Spelt Flour – Spelt is an ancient grain that’s related to wheat. It does contain gluten. You could also use whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour if you prefer. This recipe should work with gluten free flour – I would recommend a lighter weight gluten free flour like my gluten free flour blend.
- Zucchini – I like to grate the zucchini right before using it. But, you can freeze shredded zucchini and use that if you like. Just make sure to squeeze out any excess moisture once it’s thawed. Read more about freezing shredded zucchini here.
- Coconut Oil – Coconut oil works well in this batter, but you could also use organic canola oil or vegan buttery spread.
- Coconut Sugar – If you would rather use a different sugar, regular granulated sugar or brown sugar will work well. You could also use date sugar.
- Applesauce – Applesauce helps bind the loaf together. You could also use mashed banana or a flax seed egg replacer if you prefer.
If you’d like to make this into muffins instead, you can do that. Just watch the baking time – start out with about 17-19 minutes and see how it goes.
Step by Step Instructions
- Shred the zucchini – I like to do this by using a grater.
- Mix the coconut oil, sugar, zucchini, maple syrup, and water together.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir well.
- Stir in the dairy free chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into a loaf pan that has been lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle a few more chocolate chips on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes.
- Allow the loaf to cool in the pan for about 45 minutes before lifting it out of the pan using the parchment paper overhang. Place the loaf on a cutting board or tray before slicing it.
Store leftovers in an airtight container. It should stay fresh for about 3 days.
This vegan zucchini bread can be frozen. Just wrap it in plastic wrap or waxed paper, then place inside a freezer bag. It should stay fresh for up to 3 months in the freezer.
You’re not in this alone! 🤍 Join my food allergy community and get the newest recipes, tips, and tricks for food allergy families. You can still eat delicious food, even with allergies and intolerances.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Vegan Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread.
- ¾ cup shredded zucchini squeezed to remove excess water
- ¼ cup organic coconut oil measured solid, then melted
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup water
- 1 ½ cup whole spelt flour or whole wheat flour, white spelt flour, or all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup dairy free mini chocolate chips plus a few more for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper so that it hangs over on both sides.
- Put the shredded zucchini, coconut oil, applesauce, and water in a bowl and stir together.
- Add the coconut sugar, maple syrup, and vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Add the spelt flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon and stir well.
- Stir in the dairy free chocolate chips. Spoon the batter into the pan.
- Sprinkle a few more dairy free chocolate chips on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for about 45 minutes in the pan, then use the parchment paper to lift the loaf out of the pan before slicing.