This is the most amazing vegan French silk pie recipe! Every bite takes like a dream – light, creamy, and chocolatey. You will love this delicious no-bake dessert for Thanksgiving or any special occasion.
Thanksgiving is just around the corner…are you ready?
I’m really not totally ready, but I’ve been thinking about our menu and doing a little planning. And I’ve also been thinking about the first Thanksgiving we had after my son was diagnosed with tree nut allergies.
That was a different holiday, and we definitely had to make some adjustments to our menu. But I can say honestly that I love the Thanksgiving dishes that we serve now more than the ones I used to serve before we had food allergies.
Does that sound strange? It’s true! My top 8 allergen free Thanksgiving menu is one I’ve worked hard on, and every dish is delicious.
My mom was a wonderful cook, and I have memories of many delicious Thanksgiving dinners. I want my children to have memories of amazing holiday meals, too! And I want the same for you as well.
This vegan French silk pie checks off all those boxes – it’s delicious and decadent, it’s allergy friendly, and I hope it will be the source of many happy holiday memories for your family.
This is an easy no-bake pie recipe, which is so wonderful for the holidays, because you can make it ahead of time, and it won’t take up any valuable oven space on the big day. The only problem will be making sure no one finds it and starts eating it before the holiday meal. :)
Traditional French silk pie contains eggs and heavy cream, which gives the chocolate filling that rich taste. I wondered how to recreate the rich and decadent texture, and decided to try full fat coconut milk. It did the trick! The chocolate filling of this pie is delicious and decadent, but still has a lightness to it. It’s everything you want a French silk pie to be.
Where can I find allergy friendly full fat coconut milk?
If you’re not comfortable with shared facilities, you may want to try Thai Kitchen Premium Coconut Milk. It’s made in a dedicated facility where the only ingredient is coconut. Of course, you should call and confirm for yourself to make sure that’s still the case.
Another brand to look into is Native Forest Coconut Milk, which was made in a tree nut, peanut, and sesame free facility the last time I checked.
The chocolate layer is made of melted dark chocolate chips, full fat coconut milk, cocoa powder, and powdered sugar. These simple ingredients combine to form the most delicious chocolate filling.
I made a simple graham cracker crust for this vegan French silk pie. I know that traditionally, a French silk pie has a normal, baked pie crust. You could still do that if you like. I was trying to keep this recipe extra simple, and totally no-bake, so I went with a graham cracker crust.
If you’re looking for a gluten free and vegan pie crust recipe, check out my dairy free chocolate pudding pie recipe. Just follow the instructions for the pie crust there.
What graham crackers are allergy friendly?
Kinnikinnick Smoreables are gluten free, and Enjoy Life makes Vanilla Honey Graham Cookies are also gluten free and allergy friendly. Both of these options work very well for making crumbs for a graham cracker crust.
Of course, you don’t have to limit yourself to graham crackers to make a no-bake pie crust! You can use any crunchy cookie that can be ground up to create crumbs.
If you are vegan, you will want to find a graham cracker that does not contain honey. Smoreables are free of honey.
Try any of these to make a no-bake pie crust:
- Enjoy Life Crunchy Chocolate Cookies or Sugar Cookies
- Oreos or Kinnikinnick K Toos (if you are gluten free)
- Vanilla Wafers (Kinnikinnick has an allergy friendly version available)
- Homemade gluten free vegan chocolate sugar cookies
How do you make gluten free vegan French silk pie?
- Make the graham cracker crust by combing graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted vegan buttery spread, then press into a tart pan or pie pan.
- Make the chocolate filling – combine the coconut milk, chocolate, cocoa powder, and powdered sugar.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Top with cocowhip and chocolate shavings.
I used So Delicious Coco Whip for the topping (it’s like a dairy free version of Cool Whip). If you aren’t comfortable with that brand, use any whipped topping that works for your dietary needs. You can also make your own coconut whipped cream with a can of coconut milk.
Can I make this French silk pie in advance?
Yes, you can definitely make this the day before you are planning to serve it. I would recommend making the crust and adding the chocolate filling, then storing in the refrigerator. Right before serving add the whipped topping and the chocolate shavings for best results.
Tips for successfully making this chocolate pie:
- Carefully remove the coconut cream from each can of coconut milk. You can either drain the coconut water out of the can, or use a spoon to carefully lift the more solid coconut cream out of the can, leaving the watery liquid behind.
- Use a food processor to blend the chocolate filling – this will result in a smooth, evenly blended chocolate layer.
- Pack the graham cracker crust down firmly using the bottom of a measuring cup or glass.
If you make this pie, or any of my other recipes, please tag me on Instagram @prettybeeblog. I love to see what you’re cooking and baking!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Amazing Vegan French Silk Pie (Gluten Free).
For the crust:
For the chocolate layer:
For the topping:
- 9 ounces dairy free whipped topping thawed - I used So Delicious Coco Whip
- 0.5 ounce dairy free chocolate bar
Make the crust:
- Place the graham crackers and sugar in a food processor and process until fine crumbs form.
- Add the melted vegan buttery spread and process until combined.
- Press the graham cracker crumbs into a tart pan or pie pan. Use the bottom of a glass or measuring cup to firmly press the crust into the pan. Set aside.
Make the filling:
- Wash and dry the food processor bowl. Remove the water from the cans of coconut milk.
- Place the dark chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for one minute. Stir, and if needed, microwave in 10 second intervals until fully melted.
- Allow the melted chocolate to cool for a few minutes, then place the coconut milk, melted chocolate, cocoa powder, and powdered sugar in the food processor. Process until the filling is smooth and creamy.
- Pour the filling into the tart pan, and gently smooth it out. Place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 3 hours.
- When you're ready to serve the pie, top with the thawed Coco Whip. Make chocolate shavings by standing the chocolate bar on a plate and using a knife to shave some off of the sides. Sprinkle these over the pie.