This vegan gluten free banana bread is moist, delicious, and perfect for breakfast or a snack. Using very overripe bananas give this bread a wonderful, rich flavor.
Banana bread…it’s the perfect thing to bake when you’re in the mood for something warm and cozy and homemade.
A loaf of vegan gluten free banana bread fills your home with a wonderful, comforting aroma. There’s nothing like a slice of warm banana bread with some vegan buttery spread on a chilly morning.
I have had trouble in the past with making vegan gluten free banana bread that has a nice texture without being gummy, but after some trial and error, this recipe works well for me.
A light gluten free flour mix like my blend helps keep this recipe light, and not too dense. King Arthur Gluten Free Flour would also work well, if that’s a brand that’s safe for your dietary needs.
The King Arthur blend as well as my own recipe does not contain xanthan gum. This recipe doesn’t need it, and in fact, I think the addition of gums makes gluten free baked goods, well, “gummy.”
Can you make this vegan gluten free banana bread recipe with coconut flour?
Coconut flour works best when you use eggs, so I don’t think that it will work in this recipe. Using coconut flour in this recipe will result in a dense, heavy loaf of bread.
Will this banana bread recipe work with almond flour or oat flour?
If you’d like to add almond flour, you can use up to ¾ cup almond flour and another one cup gluten free flour blend. Almond flour may make this loaf a little bit heavier.
If you’d like to use oat flour, you can use up to ½ cup, with another 1 ¼ cup gluten free flour blend. Using more oat flour than that may result in a loaf that’s crumbly and falling apart.
How to make vegan gluten free banana bread:
- You’ll want to start with overripe bananas – I store mine in the freezer. If yours are frozen, let them thaw first.
- Place thawed bananas in a bowl and mash with a fork.
- Add sugar, gluten free flour, and the rest of your ingredients, and stir well.
- Pour the batter into a loaf pan that’s lined with parchment paper so it hangs over two sides of the pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 40-45 minutes, until the top is golden brown, and a toothpick inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
- Remove from the pan and place on a cooling rack. Allow to cool fully before slicing.
Have you made this recipe? Please share on Instagram, and tag me @prettybeeblog so I can see your creation!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Easy Vegan Gluten Free Banana Bread.
- 1 ¾ cups gluten free flour blend or spelt flour or all purpose flour if you aren't gluten free
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅞ cup organic cane sugar or coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup coconut oil or organic canola oil, or melted vegan butter spread
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ⅜ cup water
- Place the coconut oil in a small bowl. Microwave for 15-20 seconds until the coconut oil is melted.
- Put the bananas in a mixing bowl and mash with a fork. Add the coconut oil and stir.
- Add the sugar and vanilla, water, and vinegar, and mix until combined.
- Add the gluten free flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and mix together.
- Spoon into the prepared loaf pan*, and bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool for 30 minutes in the pan, then remove from pan and cool on a cooling rack.
- Once the loaf is fully cooled, use a serrated knife to slice it.
Let it cool quite a while before slicing, and then enjoy with some vegan buttery spread on top!
This vegan gluten free banana bread is:
- easy to make in one bowl
- perfect with a cup of tea
- delicious as an after school snack
This post was originally published in June 2014. It has been updated with new photos and text.