A warm bowl of chocolate quinoa breakfast cereal is a delicious and healthy way to start the day! You may not think of this ancient grain as a breakfast food, but it works really well as a warm cereal in the morning. Fresh fruit and chocolate chips on top make this easy gluten free recipe a delight.
Breakfast can be a real conundrum when you have food allergies. Whether you’re allergic to eggs, dairy, wheat, or nuts, it can really limit your breakfast choices.
Sure, there may be some allergy friendly cold cereals you can do with a non-dairy milk, or toasted gluten free bread, or granola, but some days you may want something a little heartier – a warm breakfast that will fill you up.
And let’s face it, it would be nice if breakfast could be a meal you would look forward to again! Not a meal where you grab something just to fill you up until lunch.
This chocolate quinoa breakfast cereal is a warm breakfast that’s filling and delicious. It’s a nice alternative to oatmeal, and it pairs well with either fresh fruit like berries, or other toppings like coconut, pumpkin seeds, or even a spoonful of sunbutter.
If chocolate isn’t your thing, try this breakfast quinoa with peaches and berries, or this tropical quinoa recipe. Both of these recipes are ideal for summertime when you have your choice of fresh produce.
Since quinoa is technically a seed, this is a perfect gluten free and grain free cereal alternative.
- You could use oatmeal in this recipe instead of quinoa, but if you’re looking for oatmeal recipes, why not just try these chocolate overnight oats or this double chocolate granola recipe? Both of those are good choice for an oatmeal breakfast without the top allergens.
- You can use red quinoa if you want to try something different – it will have a slightly nuttier flavor.
- Feel free to use a different variety of berry or another fruit if you like.
Dairy Free Milk
Any dairy free milk that works for your dietary needs will be fine for this recipe. Try coconut milk, flax milk, rice milk, or any other non-dairy milk that you like.
More Chocolate Recipes
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Chocolate Quinoa Breakfast Cereal.
- ¾ cup fresh strawberries
- ¾ cup fresh blackberries
- 2 Tablespoons dairy free chocolate chips
- coconut flakes
- Place the quinoa in a strainer and rinse under cold running water. Place the quinoa in a pot along with the cup of water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cook until the quinoa is fluffy, about 15 minutes.
- Add the vegan buttery spread, non-dairy milk, cocoa powder, and pinch of salt. Cook over low heat, and stir until the buttery spread is melted.
- Add the maple syrup and stir again. Spoon into bowls and top with berries, coconut flakes, and chocolate chips if desired.