A warm bowl of chocolate quinoa breakfast cereal is a delicious and healthy way to start the day!
Breakfast can be a real conundrum when you have food allergies. Whether you’re allergic to eggs, dairy, wheat, or nuts, it can really limit your breakfast choices.
Sure, there may be some allergy friendly cold cereals you can do with a non-dairy milk, or toasted gluten free bread, or granola, but some days you may want something a little heartier – a warm breakfast that will fill you up.
And let’s face it, it would be nice if breakfast could be a meal you would look forward to again! Not a meal where you grab something just to fill you up until lunch.
This chocolate quinoa breakfast cereal is a warm breakfast that’s filling and delicious. It’s a nice alternative to oatmeal, and it pairs well with either fresh fruit like berries, or other toppings like coconut, pumpkin seeds, or even a spoonful of sunbutter.
Since quinoa is technically a seed, this is a perfect gluten free and grain free cereal alternative. You can use red quinoa if you want to try something different – it will have a slightly nuttier flavor.
Chocolate Quinoa Breakfast Cereal.
- 3/4 cup fresh strawberries
- 3/4 cup fresh blackberries
- 2 Tablespoons dairy free chocolate chips
- coconut flakes
- Place the quinoa in a strainer and rinse under cold running water. Place the quinoa in a pot along with the cup of water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cook until the quinoa is fluffy, about 15 minutes.
- Add the vegan buttery spread, non-dairy milk, cocoa powder, and pinch of salt. Cook over low heat, and stir until the buttery spread is melted.
- Add the maple syrup and stir again. Spoon into bowls and top with berries, coconut flakes, and chocolate chips if desired.
This recipe can easily be doubled if you are feeding your family. If you make enough to have leftovers, you will need to add a little more liquid when you reheat this the next day.