A simple and delicious recipe for light and fluffy vegan pancakes. These are so easy to make and are the perfect weekend breakfast!
Hooray for the weekend! What does your weekend look like? Today we are looking at snow, snow, snow! Good grief. It has been a really wintery winter, if you know what I mean. I’m sure that sounds ridiculous, but our winters really vary. Two years ago, when I was pregnant with Baby Bee, we had some 50 degree days in December! It was so crazy. I was really happy because I could wear flats – I didn’t have to jam my feet into boots too often, which is a really good thing when you are nine months pregnant.
Any way, since it’s the weekend, that means that we will have a nice relaxed breakfast on Saturday. We love to have pancakes or waffles on the weekend as a special treat. To be honest, it took awhile for me to find a good way to make vegan pancakes. I was so used to making pancakes or waffles with eggs, and it took some experimenting for me to be able to make them egg free.
I started with this recipe, and I’ve adapted it to suit our tastes. We like our pancakes to be nice and fluffy and a little bit sweet. This recipe is awesome with berries on top, and it’s also really good with chocolate chips. Just add them right before you spoon your batter into the pan.
But our favorite way to enjoy these light and fluffy pancakes is with vegan buttery spread and lots of maple syrup.
Tips for making these light and fluffy vegan pancakes:
- Let the batter rise for at least 5 minutes. The baking powder needs a few minutes to do its job!
- Don’t turn the heat too high! Medium heat will do it.
- Don’t flip them too quickly. It will take about 5 minutes for the bottom to cook through. Look for the edges to be cooked, and a few bubbles to form in the batter. Then flip and finish cooking.
- 1½ cups white spelt flour (you can use all-purpose flour if you wish)
- 1½ Tablespoons baking powder
- 1½ cups non-dairy milk (I use unsweetened coconut milk)
- 3 Tablespoons organic cane sugar
- 3 Tablespoons organic canola oil
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- vegan buttery spread for pan
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add wet ingredients, and let rise for about five minutes.
- Melt a tablespoon of vegan buttery spread in a large frying pan over medium heat (I have an electric stove and put the burner at about 5).
- Spoon the batter into the pan, and cook until you see the edges starting to turn golden brown (about 5 minutes or so).
- Flip pancakes and continue to cook until done, about 3 more minutes.
- Serve with vegan buttery spread and syrup, or desired fruit topping.
adapted from this recipe.
What are your weekend plans? Besides making super awesome vegan pancakes, that is! ;)