Vegan blueberry oatmeal pancakes are tasty, healthy, and a delicious breakfast recipe!
It’s pancake time! Are you hungry?
I hope so, because these blueberry oatmeal pancakes are so yummy!
Do you ever think about the things you imagined your life would be when you were younger? For example, when I was about 6 or 7 years old, if you asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, my answer was, “a teacher, a doctor, and a baker.” I had it all figured out – I would be a teacher during the day, a doctor at night, and a baker in between. Who needs sleep, right?
Although I didn’t choose any of those things as a career, in a lot of ways I am all of those things, because I’m a mom. :) When I got older, and actually started imagining what I wanted my family life to be like, the one little scene that I kept coming back to was making pancakes on the weekend for my husband and children, and sitting down to eat them before we went out to do fun things together.
And that part, that little scene has come true. I get to make pancakes on the weekend for my little gang here, and I love it.
This was Sunday’s breakfast – vegan blueberry oatmeal pancakes. We had plain pancakes earlier in the week, but I was in the mood for something different. I wanted to add a little more fiber, so I ground some oats in the food processor and added them to the batter. Blueberries were the finishing touch.
Because of the blueberries and the oats in the batter, these pancakes take a little longer to cook. Keep the heat on medium low though, otherwise you will burn them! (Ask me how I know). The juice from the blueberries makes it really easy to burn these. Just take your time and don’t make these vegan blueberry oatmeal pancakes too big, or it will take a reallllly long time for them to get done in the middle.
If you don’t have spelt flour, all-purpose flour is just fine. I have not tried these with gluten free flour yet. If you try them that way, let me know! My suspicion is that they might be a little bit heavier.
Vegan Blueberry Oatmeal Pancakes.
Tasty and healthy vegan blueberry oatmeal pancakes are the perfect weekend breakfast!
- 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup white spelt flour all-purpose flour is okay
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons baking powder
- 2 Tablespoons organic cane sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup organic canola oil or melted vegan buttery spread
- 1 1/8 cup non-dairy milk of your choice
- 1 cup blueberries
- vegan buttery spread for frying
- Grind the oats in the food processor until you have a semi-fine flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oat flour, white spelt flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Add the canola oil, non-dairy milk, and blueberries, and gently stir to combine. Set aside.
- Place a tablespoon or so of vegan buttery spread in a large skillet and melt over medium heat.
- When the buttery spread is sizzling, reduce the heat to medium low, and spoon the batter into the skillet. I kept the pancakes fairly small, only about 3-4 inches across. This helped them hold together and cook evenly.
- Cook until the edges of the pancakes look done, about 5 minutes. Flip the pancakes over and cook on the other side until done in the middle, about 5 minutes more.
- Remove pancakes from pan and add more vegan buttery spread. Repeat process with remaining batter.
- Top pancakes with vegan buttery spread and maple syrup.
Serving size is two small pancakes.
These vegan blueberry oatmeal pancakes are:
- light and fluffy
- just as good as “traditional” pancakes
- the perfect breakfast to enjoy with your family!
If you’re looking for more vegan pancakes, try these chocolate chip pumpkin pancakes.