Wow, can you believe we are 3 weeks into 2015 already? Since it’s the 21st, that means that it’s time for another Recipe Redux.
This month’s theme was smoke and spiciness, so I thought a big pot of chili would fit the bill. I wanted to make a healthy, lighter chili with just a few ingredients, and I wanted it to be packed with flavor and spice. This simple, 5 ingredient turkey chili is what I wound up with.
It’s packed with protein from the ground turkey and the garbanzo beans, and there’s plenty of spice from the Ro-Tel Tomatoes. You can use any brand of chili ready tomatoes that you want, the Ro-Tel brand just has the level of spice that I was looking for with this recipe. If it’s not spicy enough for you, then just add hot sauce to taste.
This chili just requires one pot, minimal preparation, and comes together in about 30 minutes. It’s a quick and easy dinner for busy week nights.
- 1 cup frozen chopped onions
- 1.5 pounds ground turkey
- two cans Ro-Tel Original Tomatoes with Green Chiles
- two 15 ounce cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tablespoons cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the chopped onions and ground turkey in a large soup pot, and cook over medium heat.
- Cook until turkey is browned and cooked through. Drain out any excess grease.
- Add the garbanzo beans, tomatoes, and cumin. Stir. Add about ¾ cup water, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for 15 minutes to let the flavors come together.
- Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Serve topped with avocado, cilantro, tortilla chips, or salsa.
What easy meals have you been making lately? Are you a fan of spicy food?
Be sure to check out the other smoky and spicy meals below!
Linking up to some of these parties.