Lentils slow cooked in a rich coconut cream curry sauce – this easy dish is sure to keep you warm this fall!
Yesterday I made the mistake of wandering into the Target dollar spot. It started out innocently enough, with my son saying, “Look, Star Wars stuff!” And then I don’t know what happened, but I blinked and my cart was full of burlap banners, glittered fall leaf banners, Halloween baker’s twine, wooden haunted houses, felt pumpkins, and twinkle lights. Oops.
Of course we had to come home and decorate, and then guess what Darryl came home with? Mini pumpkins.
It’s officially fall in the Roenicke household. :) So we may as well embrace it and bust out the crockpot recipes.
This is one of those recipes that I just kind of threw together one day that turned into one of our favorite slow cooker dishes. It’s hearty, because of the lentils, and full of flavor from the tomato paste, coconut milk, and spices.
When I made this for the first time, it was one of those situations where you can’t stop eating…just a little more, and a little more, just a spoonful of sauce…it’s hard to walk away from. So don’t say I didn’t warn you!
I used half regular green lentils and half French green lentils because that’s what I had in the pantry. You could use just green lentils, or just French green lentils, or even black (Beluga) lentils. If you use black lentils it may take a little bit longer to cook. I would not recommend using red lentils, because they will just turn to mush.
- 1 red onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ cups green lentils (or French green lentils)
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2½ cups water
- Jasmine rice for serving
- Place the red onion, minced garlic, diced pepper, and olive oil in the slow cooker.
- Pick over and rinse the lentils and add to the crockpot.
- Add all the other ingredients and stir.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 4½ - 5 hours. Check periodically and add more liquid if needed.
- Serve over Jasmine rice.
Have you gotten out the slow cooker yet? What are you making?
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Simply Delicious Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup. - February 23, 2017
- Gluten Free and Vegan Sugar Cookie Bars. - February 13, 2017
- Chocolate Valentine Cupcakes (Gluten Free, Vegan). - February 9, 2017