These vegan vanilla donuts have a sweet and colorful berry frosting that’s sure to be a big hit! These donuts are light, fluffy, and beautiful, and just right for a special dessert or breakfast.
Who loves a good donut?
Remember the days before food allergies? When you could grab a fresh donut from a bakery early in the morning?
If you have food allergies, that may not be a possibility for you now. All the nuts, peanuts, dairy, egg…there’s a lot of cross contamination going on at a typical bakery.
But since life is more fun with donuts, I’ve figured out how to make fun and special donuts for my family at home. With a donut pan, and a few different recipes, you could be on your way to opening an allergy friendly bakery in no time! ;)
These berry frosted vegan donuts are light and fluffy, and topped with a sweet, pale pink frosting. With an assortment of fresh berries on top, these are worthy of a special brunch or party!
There are lots of choices for egg replacers in vegan baking. For this recipe, a little vinegar and baking soda allows these to rise, and some applesauce holds them together, the same way an egg would!
If you can’t eat apples, you can substitute an equal amount of yogurt instead of applesauce.
Removing Donuts from Pan
Allow the baked donuts to cool for about ten minutes, then place the pan over a cookie sheet or other clean surface. Tap the pan against the cookie sheet, or hit the bottom of the pan with a spoon. The donuts should fall out.
You can freeze these if you need to. If you freeze them, I would recommend doing that before they are frosted. Wrap them in plastic wrap and store in a freezer bag. They should stay fresh in the freezer for up to three months.
- Try using different berries, like strawberries or raspberries.
- If you use strawberries, you could add some chocolate chips to the batter for a chocolate strawberry donut.
- Make these in a mini muffin pan for a cute, small treat – kind of like baked donut holes.
More Vegan Donuts
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Vegan Vanilla Donuts with Berry Frosting.
For the donuts:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a donut pan with vegan buttery spread.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the melted buttery spread, non-dairy milk, vanilla extract, unsweetened applesauce, and vinegar, and mix.
- Carefully spoon the batter into the donut pan. Smooth out the top of each donut.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 12-14 minutes.
- Let the donuts cool for about 10 minutes, then turn the pan over to let the donuts fall out onto a cookie sheet or parchment paper. You may have to tap on the bottom of the pan to release the donuts
To make the frosting:
- Press the blackberries against a fine mesh sieve over a large bowl to release the juice.
- Add half of the powdered sugar to the blackberry juice and mix on medium speed. Drizzle in the non-dairy milk, continue beating. Add the rest of the powdered sugar, and continue to beat until smooth and creamy.
- Let the donuts cool completely before frosting.
- Frost the cooled donuts, then top with assorted berries if desired.