Simple and healthy crockpot bean soup is the perfect budget friendly meal to make for your family! Easy, hearty, and healthy!
I think today is a first on The Pretty Bee! I’ve shared recipes from my Mom, and even some from my Grandma, but today I’m sharing one of my Dad’s recipes!
And he doesn’t even know it yet. I’ll have to tell him his crockpot bean soup is about to become internet famous. ;)
This is such a simple recipe, and it’s so tasty. I thought I would share it this week because maybe you:
A. Have eaten too many Christmas cookies and need a healthy dinner or lunch option. (I’m raising my hand).
B. Are tired of rich holiday food.
C. Are trying to watch your budget this month due to all the extra holiday expenses.
This easy crockpot bean soup is perfect for all those reasons. Beans are a great source of protein and fiber, so they are very heart healthy. They are filling and tasty without being heavy or rich. And this is such a frugal meal. It just doesn’t get any cheaper than dried beans! We like to make our crockpot bean soup with either baby lima beans or large lima beans, but of course you can use any type of dried bean. Sometimes I will add some sliced carrots as well, but those are optional.
A big bowl of this healthy crockpot bean soup along with some warm bread and butter is such an easy and comforting dinner.
Serve this healthy crockpot bean soup with:
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Simple and Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup.
- Sort and rinse the beans, then place in a large bowl and cover with water. Let soak overnight.
- Rinse and drain the beans, then place in a pot and cover with fresh water. Bring to a boil on the stove, and let boil for 10 minutes. This is to destroy any toxins that are in the beans.
- Drain the beans again and place in the crockpot with the chopped onion, carrots, celery, garlic cloves, garlic powder, and water.
- Cook on high for 5 hours, or low for 8 hours. You can check the liquid level, and add a bit more if needed, but this is supposed to be a thick soup.
- Season with the salt and pepper and stir.
- Serve with bread and butter, or cornbread.
What’s your favorite easy and healthy crockpot meal?