Crockpot white bean chicken chili is an easy meal that’s great for busy weeks!
How was your weekend? We had a super crazy weekend over here. Darryl’s birthday was Saturday, and we had his parents over, then I had a gig Saturday night, then on Sunday I had a bridal shower to go to, plus we made a trip to IKEA.
All of that means that I am tired out today! (IKEA does it to me every time!) Plus that busy weekend was the start of a very busy month for me – I have a lot of gigs coming up, we have activities for the boys planned, plus just the general craziness that this time of year brings – parties, Mother’s Day, etc.
I decided to give myself a break and use the crockpot this weekend, and I was so glad that I did. I adjusted my favorite white bean chicken chili recipe a little bit and threw it in the crockpot, and it was a really easy lunch for us on Saturday.
You could definitely make a vegan version of this crockpot white bean chicken chili by using more beans and using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. We like an all-bean version of this chili, too. If I am leaving the chicken out, I like to add more of the garbanzo beans because they are heartier.
Crockpot White Bean Chicken Chili.
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1.5 pounds chicken breasts cut into small pieces
- 30 ounces cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 30 ounces garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 2 Tablespoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 3 Tablespoons water
- cilantro and avocado for toppings
- Place the olive oil and chopped onion in the crock pot.
- Add the chicken, spices, drained and rinsed beans, salsa verde, and chicken broth. Place the cover on the crock pot.
- Cook for 4 hours on high heat, or 6-8 hours on low heat.
- Just before serving, combine the cornstarch or arrowroot powder and the water in a small container with a lid. Shake well. Drizzle the mixture into the crock pot and stir. Place the cover back on and let it cook for a few minutes so that the chili thickens up.
- Serve chili topped with chopped avocado and fresh cilantro.
- *To Freeze: Place all ingredients except broth and cornstarch in a gallon size freezer bag.
- Thaw completely in the refrigerator, then place in the crockpot, add the chicken broth, and follow the cooking instructions above.
This crockpot white bean chicken chili is:
- perfect for busy weeks
- dairy free and allergy friendly
- hearty and healthy, with lots of fiber
Did you have a crazy weekend? Are you still using the crockpot even though the weather is warming up?