Start your weekend with a batch of these dairy free muffins with coconut streusel topping! These are delicious and perfect with a cup of coffee or tea.
If you’ve recently moved to a dairy free diet, you know how hard it is to try to figure out what to bake. You’ve stopped using butter and milk and cream, and you’re just not sure what to do with your favorite recipes.
These dairy free muffins have a rich coconut flavor and a yummy streusel like top. You won’t miss the dairy with this sweet and tender muffin recipe.
I used non-dairy coconut milk, but you can use any neutral tasting dairy free milk that works for your diet. Read my guide to dairy substitutions for suggestions.
Be careful around the streusel topping – it’s so good. I think it would be fantastic on any kind of muffin – maybe even on this chocolate muffin recipe.
Ideas for substitutions:
- You can use a different kind of sugar if you like – try brown sugar
- Add some gluten free oats to the streusel topping
- You can use coconut oil or melted vegan buttery spread instead of canola oil
Suggestions for making these dairy free muffins:
- If you don’t need to be gluten free, go ahead and use all-purpose flour or spelt flour
- If you feel like a little something extra, go ahead and add in some dairy free chocolate chips
- Want a little more crunch? Add a few nuts if you’re able to eat nuts, or even some sunflower seeds
These are a great for a quick breakfast or an after school snack. You can also make a double batch and freeze these – then you can grab one or two and defrost them whenever you need a muffin!
More dairy free muffin recipes:
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Dairy Free Muffins with Coconut Streusel.
Gluten free and dairy free muffins with a buttery coconut crumb topping.
- 1 ¾ cups gluten-free flour blend If you aren't gluten free, go ahead and use all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup non-dairy milk or water
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- ⅓ cup organic canola oil or melted coconut oil
- ⅓ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
For the Streusel Topping:
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter softened
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
In a large bowl, combine the gluten free flour, sugar, shredded coconut, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, combine the non-dairy milk, egg, applesauce, and oil.
Stir wet mixture into dry ingredients just until combined. Fold in coconut. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
Combine the topping ingredients in a small bowl; sprinkle over each muffin. Bake at 375 degrees for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
Store muffins in an airtight container - they should stay fresh for about 3 days.
You can also freeze these - they will stay fresh in a ziploc freezer bag for up to 3 months.
These are best enjoyed within a couple of days. Store them in an airtight container to keep them fresh.