Start your day with a batch of these dairy free muffins with coconut streusel topping! These are delicious and perfect with a cup of coffee or tea. These muffins are fluffy, tender, and have an irresistible crunch from toasted coconut.
If you’ve recently moved to a dairy free diet, you know how hard it is to try to figure out what to bake. You’ve stopped using butter and milk and cream, and you’re just not sure what to do with your favorite recipes.
These dairy free muffins have a rich coconut flavor and a yummy streusel–like top. You won’t miss the dairy with this sweet and tender muffin recipe. These are a great addition to the breakfast table, or a perfect afternoon snack with a cup of your favorite tea.
You’re going to love the streusel topping – it’s so good. I think it would be fantastic on any kind of muffin – maybe even on this chocolate muffin recipe.
- Non-Dairy Milk – I used coconut milk, but you can use any neutral tasting dairy free milk that works for your diet. Read my guide to dairy substitutions for suggestions.
- Applesauce – I used applesauce in place of one egg to lighten up this recipe. You can use two eggs if you prefer. I like applesauce as an egg replacer because it helps keep these muffins light and fluffy.
- Oil – Feel free to use organic canola oil, coconut oil, or melted vegan buttery spread. Any of those would work well in this recipe.
- You can use a different kind of sugar if you like – try brown sugar or coconut sugar
- Add some gluten free oats to the streusel topping for more crunch
- You can use coconut oil or melted vegan buttery spread instead of canola oil
- If you don’t need to be gluten free, go ahead and use all-purpose flour or spelt flour
- Be sure to use parchment paper liners so that the muffins don’t stick to the pan
- Only fill the muffin cups ⅔ full so that they bake evenly
- Allow the muffins to cool in the pan before trying to move them
These are best enjoyed within a couple of days. Store them in an airtight container to keep them fresh.
You can also make a double batch and freeze these – then you can grab one or two and defrost them whenever you need a muffin! Store in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months.
More Dairy Free Muffin Recipes
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Dairy Free Muffins with Coconut Streusel.
Gluten free and dairy free muffins with a buttery coconut crumb topping make a perfect breakfast or snack.
- 1 ¾ cups gluten-free flour blend If you aren’t gluten free, go ahead and use all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup organic cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup non-dairy milk or water
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- ⅓ cup organic canola oil or melted coconut oil
- ⅓ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
For the Streusel Topping:
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter softened
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
In a large bowl, combine the gluten free flour, sugar, shredded coconut, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, combine the non-dairy milk, egg, applesauce, and oil.
Stir wet mixture into dry ingredients just until combined. Fold in coconut. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
Combine the topping ingredients in a small bowl; sprinkle over each muffin. Bake at 375 degrees F for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
Store muffins in an airtight container – they should stay fresh for about 3 days.
You can also freeze these – they will stay fresh in a ziploc freezer bag for up to 3 months.
Yum!! Those look soooo good!!
Oh. My. I love coconut!
yum! i have all these ingredients so I will be making these! (hopefully today. i’m in a coconutty mood :) )