Rich and delicious dairy free peppermint hot cocoa is a festive drink for the holiday season. The perfect way to warm up on a cold day!
The holiday season is almost here! ‘Tis the season for red cups and festive drinks.
Since you probably don’t want to trust your festive drink orders to coffee shops due to allergens and cross contamination, it may be time to talk about how to make the very best dairy free peppermint hot cocoa in the comfort of your own home.
Plus, if you make it at home, you can enjoy it while wearing pajamas and bundled up under a blanket. What’s better than that?
Peppermint hot cocoa is the perfect holiday drink, isn’t it? Picture it: you’re decorating the tree with your family, listening to Andy Williams, wearing your holiday plaid, and drinking mugs of peppermint hot cocoa. It doesn’t get any cozier than that.
Or, more realistically: you make this peppermint hot cocoa for yourself and gulp it down in the car between the 1500 things you have to do this holiday season. :)
Which dairy free milk to use
You can make this hot cocoa with any non-dairy milk that works for your dietary needs. I recommend using a neutral tasting milk for best results. I used 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk and 1 cup coconut milk creamer because that adds richness.
You can try this with oat milk, rice milk, soy milk, or any other milk that you enjoy.
Variations on this recipe
- If you aren’t a fan of peppermint, you can leave that out, or add vanilla extract.
- You can add marshmallows if you like.
- Try adding a drizzle of dairy free hot fudge for an extra decadent treat.
You might want to bake a batch of these chocolate dipped shortbread cookies to enjoy with this cocoa. It’s just the right pairing for a holiday dessert.
More dairy free chocolate recipes
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Dairy Free Peppermint Hot Cocoa.
Cozy dairy free peppermint hot cocoa is the perfect holiday drink! This version is vegan and gluten free.
- 3 cups non-dairy milk of your choice I used 2 cups So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk, and 1 cup So Delicious Original Coconut Milk Creamer
- 5 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 Tablespoons organic cane sugar
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- allergy friendly candy canes and chocolate shavings for serving
- So Delicious CocoWhip for serving
Heat the non-dairy milk in a saucepan over medium heat until steaming. Do not bring to a boil.
Add the unsweetened cocoa powder and sugar and stir well until smooth.
Remove the pan from the heat and add the peppermint extract. Taste the cocoa and add more peppermint extract if desired.
Pour the cocoa into mugs and top with CocoWhip and chocolate shavings. Garnish with a candy cane and serve immediately.
This dairy free peppermint hot cocoa is:
- rich and creamy
- chocolatey and indulgent
- perfect for sharing with your family on Christmas morning
If you have a favorite holiday recipe you’d like to see an allergy friendly version of, let me know in the comments!