This double chocolate chip banana cake is a delicious dessert or snack! You can even eat this chocolate cake for breakfast!
Once in a while, you just need a chocolate cake.
And if you’re like me, you’d like to make it a little bit healthy, if possible, and that’s where this double chocolate chip banana cake comes in.
It’s rich and delicious, but has some healthier ingredients like banana, coconut oil, flax seed meal, and oats.
This double chocolate banana cake is just the thing to make when you have too many ripe bananas lying around. It takes just a few minutes to mix up, and then you have a delicious chocolate dessert that’s allergy friendly.
Can you use frozen bananas for banana cake?
Yes, frozen overripe bananas would be great in this recipe! I just used brown spotted bananas this time, but I have used frozen in the past.
Can you eliminate the sugar in this recipe and just use bananas?
It depends on how ripe your bananas are, and how you like your desserts. If you are used to desserts that are slightly less sweet, that may work ok for you. If you are wanting to eliminate the sugar, I would recommend using very overripe bananas and maybe a couple of tablespoons of maple syrup and see how that goes.
Can this double chocolate chip banana cake be made into muffins?
Yes, you can make this cake in a muffin pan. Just watch the baking time. It will probably take about 16-20 minutes to bake muffins.
You can serve this double chocolate banana cake with ice cream for dessert, or even enjoy a piece for a quick breakfast. If you can eat nuts, feel free to add them to the batter before baking.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Double Chocolate Chip Banana Cake (Gluten Free, Vegan).
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend
- ½ cup certified gluten free oats
- 1 Tablespoon ground flax seed meal
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- ⅓ cup organic coconut oil measure when solid then melt it in the microwave
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup dairy free chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a square baking pan with parchment paper so that there is an overhang on two sides.
- Place the dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk together.
- Place the bananas in a separate bowl and mash well with a fork until pretty smooth. Add the melted coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, and water. Stir well.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir until combined and smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 26-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. If you are making muffins, try baking for 16-20 minutes.
- Let cool before slicing and serving.