Three ingredient black bean soup is a simple, hearty, vegan soup that’s perfect for a quick lunch. This recipe requires basic ingredients that you probably have in your pantry! Serve this with some vegan cornbread for a comforting, filling meal.
It seems like some weeks are so busy these days, you know?
And when the schedule is busy, it can be hard to plan a tasty, allergy friendly meal. And you know how it is if you have food allergies, you can’t order takeout from just anywhere.
If you’re like us, there is one pizza place that can meet everyone’s needs, and it’s over a half hour away, so it’s not exactly convenient!
When I need to make an easy, filling lunch in a hurry, I turn to this super simple black bean soup.
We eat a lot of beans in our family, and there’s nothing better than a hot bowl of bean soup for lunch. Some of our favorite bean recipes include this easy dip, and this warming lemon white bean soup.
This soup has just a few ingredients, and it can be made in about 10 minutes. Now, I may get some argument that it is actually more than three ingredients, but everyone has salt, pepper, and oil probably just sitting next to the stove. And if you were desperate, you could actually leave those out!
- black beans
- salsa verde
- salt, pepper, oil
How to make
- Saute the chopped onion in a bit of olive oil.
- Add the beans in their liquid, salsa verde, and ½ cup water.
- Simmer for at least 5 minutes, or longer.
- Season with salt and pepper if desired.
That’s all there is to it! Top this black bean soup with guacamole, or chopped tomatoes, or tortilla strips. Super easy, and so tasty. You can use any salsa you like in this recipe, but our favorite is salsa verde.
No, you can’t. Canned beans are needed for this soup because the cooking time is so short.
Check out Eden Brand canned beans. I have always had good success with talking to them on the phone regarding their allergen policies and procedures.
The main ingredients are black beans, salsa verde, and onion. Most people have salt, pepper, and oil in their kitchen, so I didn’t count those. The soup could be made without those if you needed to do so.
What to serve with black bean soup
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Three Ingredient Black Bean Soup.
- In a large sauce pan, cook the onion in the olive oil over medium heat until softened (about 5 minutes).
- Add the black beans in their liquid, the salsa verde, salt, pepper, and about ½ cup water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes. If you are really in a hurry, you can do just 5 minutes of simmering. But the flavor will improve if you cook it a bit longer.
- Remove from heat, stir in salt and pepper and blend with an immersion blender until the soup is somewhat smooth. I like to leave some larger pieces of bean in there.
- Serve topped with tomatoes, cilantro, more salsa, or enjoy this soup plain.
This post is part of my series, 31 Days of Gluten, Dairy, and Egg Free Comfort Food.