Homemade apple chips are a sweet treat that your family is sure to love. You don’t need a dehydrator to make these crispy chips, you can just use your oven. This is a great way to enjoy fresh apples!
Crispy, sweet apple chips – is there a more perfect fall snack? These little treats are easy to make, and you don’t need a dehydrator. You can use your oven!
The first time I tried using my oven to dehydrate something was when I made oven-dried tomatoes. I had a few ideas about what else to dehydrate – zucchini chips, sweet potato chips, some kind of fruit leather…but in the end, apple chips won.
I’ve seen a few different recipes for homemade apple chips, and the baking time seems to vary. I had to bake these chips for longer than I expected. I think the trick is to keep a good eye on them. If your oven runs hotter or cooler, your baking time may be different from mine.
I decided to dust these with a blend of coconut sugar and cinnamon, and they were delicious! So easy to make, and a very tasty allergy friendly snack.
- Apples – Most types of apples should work well in this recipe. Try Gala, Fuji, Honeycrisp, Granny Smith, or Pink Lady. I made these recently with Cosmic Crisp apples and they were absolutely delicious.
- Sugar – I used organic cane sugar, but you could also use coconut sugar or date sugar.
Step by Step Instructions
- Slice the apples very thin. Remove the seeds. Place the apple slices on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, then dust them with cinnamon and sugar.
- Bake the apple chips at 225 degrees F for 1 ½ – 2 ½ hours. Check them often, and remove any that are crispy. Once they are crisp, remove from the oven to cool.
- Enjoy these oven dried chips right away, or store in a sealed container for up to 5 days.
These apple chips should last for about 4-5 days when stored in an airtight container.
Tips for Success
- Slice your apples as thin as you can. The thinner the apples, the crisper the chips. You can do this with either a sharp knife or a mandolin.
- Try to make your apple slices the same thickness so that they all dry out at the same rate.
- Use parchment paper so that you can easily remove the chips from the cookie sheet.
- Check the apples often to make sure they don’t burn.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Easy Homemade Apple Chips.
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the apples very thin using a very sharp knife or a mandolin. The thinner they are the crisper they will be! I sliced them so that the seeds would make a star shape in the middle of each chip. Once you get to where the seeds are, just pop them out with the tip of a knife.
- Lay the apple slices on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle the coconut sugar and cinnamon over the apple chips.
- Bake at 225 degrees F for about 1.5 – 2.5 hours. Oven temperatures vary, so after about an hour, you make want to check on the apples periodically.
- Once the edges are curled up and the apples are dried and crisp, remove the cookie sheet from the oven. Let the chips cool. then eat! Or store in an airtight container.