Turkey quinoa taco bowls are a quick and easy dinner recipe that’s gluten free and dairy free. A savory meat filling, fluffy quinoa, and lots of toppings make this a colorful and filling meal. This family friendly recipe is perfect for busy nights!
When you have multiple food allergies or intolerances, it can feel like you have a very small selection of foods that are safe for you. Maybe you’re avoiding gluten, dairy, eggs, nuts, fish, and a few more…after a while, it seems like you’re eating the same old thing night after night.
But if you can’t eat corn, tacos or nachos become another food that’s on the forbidden list. So I decided to share the way I got my taco/nacho fix when we couldn’t eat corn. Quinoa taco bowls are a great way to enjoy the flavors of a taco without the gluten, corn, or rice.
- Ground Turkey – You need to get 93% lean ground turkey. If you get turkey that is any leaner than that, the taco meat will be dry and less flavorful. If you prefer ground beef, you can make this recipe with beef, it will still work out well.
- Taco Seasoning – Rather than using a packaged taco seasoning blend, you can make your own blend with cumin, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, salt, and pepper.
- Quinoa – You can use white or red quinoa in this recipe. If you don’t want to use quinoa, you could use millet, rice, or cauliflower rice.
This is an easy family dinner that’s filling and delicious. You get a little more fiber and protein from the quinoa, and you get to load these bowls up with turkey taco meat, and your choice of toppings. Avocado, red peppers, black beans, salsa…anything you can put on a taco you can put on these quinoa taco bowls.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Quinoa Taco Bowls.
Quinoa taco bowls are a quick and easy gluten free and corn free meal. This is a simple and tasty dinner that's perfect for busy nights!
- 1 cup quinoa either white or red is fine
- 1 pound ground turkey 93% lean
- ½ cup onion finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 Tablespoons ketchup
- ¼ cup water
- 15 ounces canned black beans
Prepare the quinoa according to package instructions.
While the quinoa cooks, put the ground turkey and chopped onions in a skillet and cook over medium heat until browned and cooked through, about 10-12 minutes. Drain off any grease.
Add the spices, ketchup, and water. Cook over medium low heat, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes.
Heat the black beans in their juices in a separate saucepan.
Season the quinoa with salt, pepper, and a bit of garlic powder. To assemble the bowls, place some quinoa in each bowl, then add the turkey taco meat, black beans, and your choice of toppings. Serve immediately.
Be creative with your toppings! Chopped peppers, sauteed onions, fresh herbs, corn salsa, salsa verde, pico de gallo, dairy free cheese, refried beans, guacamole – you can top these bowls with whatever you like.
Store leftover meat, beans, and quinoa in the refrigerator. They should stay fresh for about 4 days.