If you’re looking for a simple, colorful summertime meal, try these veggie bowls! Southwestern corn and sweet potato bowls are an easy and filling meal that’s gluten free, vegan, and so tasty.
I love it when sweet corn is in season. It’s so good when it’s fresh. When Michigan corn arrives at our Farmer’s market, we eat it a lot – corn chowder, corn cakes, and just good old corn on the cob, too.
I thought I’d add some fresh corn to a veggie rice bowl, and I loved the result. With sweet potatoes, onions, black beans, spices, and cilantro, this is a very flavorful main dish recipe. You could even use this mixture to fill tacos or burritos!
- Corn – I liked the pop of the fresh corn in this recipe, but if corn is not in season, you can certainly use frozen corn or canned corn.
- Sweet Potatoes – You will want to peel the sweet potatoes and slice them very thin so that they cook quickly and evenly.
- Beans – I used canned black beans, but you could also use canned pinto beans or white beans if that’s what you have on hand.
- Rice – I have made these bowls with white rice and brown rice, depending on what I’m in the mood for. Either works well! If you can’t eat rice, try serving the vegetable mixture over quinoa or cauliflower rice.
Step by Step Instructions
- Cook the rice according to the package directions.
- Cook the sweet potatoes and onions in olive oil over medium heat. Add the spices.
- Once the sweet potatoes are tender, add the canned black beans and fresh corn. Cook for about 5 more minutes until everything is heated through.
- Put some rice in each bowl and top with the sweet potato and corn mixture. Garnish with cilantro if desired. Enjoy!
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They should stay fresh for about 3 days.
🍽 Looking for more comforting dinner recipes? Join my community to get delicious gluten free, dairy free, and top 9 free recipes in your inbox each week!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Southwestern Corn and Sweet Potato Bowls.
- 1 cup Jasmine rice I've made these with both white rice and brown rice before, either is fine
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 sweet potatoes peeled and sliced thin
- 2 ears corn kernels sliced off
- 15 ounces black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- fresh cilantro
- Cook the rice of your choice according to package directions.
- In a large skillet, saute the onion and the sweet potatoes in the olive oil over medium heat. Cook until tender, about 25 minutes. Add the spices and stir.
- Add the black beans and corn, and cook for about 5 minutes, until the corn is done and everything is heated through.
- Put a scoop of rice in each bowl and top with the vegetables. Garnish with fresh cilantro.