Looking for a delicious new way to start your morning? Try this recipe for breakfast quinoa – it’s a hearty, filling breakfast that’s sure to become a favorite! Creamy quinoa is topped with fresh mango and coconut flakes for a taste of the tropics!
Breakfast is such an important meal, and it can also be a delicious one! I know sometimes I get into a rut with breakfast – I tend to make a smoothie, or overnight oats. Both of these are delicious, easy, allergy friendly options, but sometimes you get a little bored of the same thing.
I also like to make breakfast quinoa, and truthfully, this is one of my favorite ways to eat quinoa.
I love to have quinoa as an alternative to oatmeal. It’s full of fiber, protein, and iron, and when mixed with buttery spread and coconut milk, it makes a delicious hot breakfast cereal. It’s also fairly quick to make – if you’re in a rush, it’s easy to throw in a pan and let it simmer for 15 minutes or so while you get ready for the day.
How do you make breakfast quinoa?
- You just need to cook the quinoa in dairy free milk instead of water – this makes it nice and creamy.
- Then you’ll add some sweetener, vegan buttery spread, and stir together.
- Finally, you’ll top the quinoa with fresh fruit – I used mangoes, and any other toppings you like. I made this bowl with coconut flakes on top as well.
What type of non-dairy milk will work in this recipe?
Any kind of non-dairy milk that you like should be just fine! You may want to use a neutral flavored milk, like unsweetened coconut milk, or rice milk. Some non-dairy milks have a stronger flavor, and that may overpower this recipe. If you’re new to dairy free cooking, take a look at my guide to dairy substitutes.
Other fruits to add to this breakfast bowl:
I find that this breakfast quinoa is a very filling cereal option – it definitely sticks with me throughout the morning. If you want to add even more nutrition, you can add some ground flax seed, chia seeds, or hemp seeds.
This version is full of coconut flavor from coconut milk, cream, and flakes, and the fresh mango is the perfect topping to this tropical breakfast.
More breakfast quinoa recipes:
- Breakfast Quinoa with Peaches and Berries
- Chocolate Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
- Quinoa Porridge with Mixed Berries
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Tropical Breakfast Quinoa (Gluten Free, Vegan).
- Rinse the quinoa in a strainer, and then place the quinoa in a saucepan. Add the unsweetened coconut milk. Cook over medium heat, just until the milk starts to bubble. Reduce the heat to low, and cover the pan.
- Cook over low heat for about 15 minutes. The quinoa is done when the little ring separates from around the edge of the quinoa. Don’t overcook or it will dry out.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the honey, vegan buttery spread, shredded coconut flakes, coconut cream, and salt.
- Spoon into bowls and top with the diced mango. Sprinkle coconut on top.
This post was originally published in July 2015. It has been updated.