You can make the best turkey burgers in a short amount of time with just a few ingredients! These are moist, juicy, and so flavorful. Even diehard beef fans usually love these turkey burgers!
Turkey burgers are one of our favorite main dishes around here. I prefer ground turkey to ground beef, and this recipe is super flavorful and delicious.
You might be thinking, “Turkey burgers are bland and dry,” but that’s not true of this recipe! These burgers are nice and moist from chopped mushrooms and onions. Both of those ingredients keep the ground turkey from drying out while it’s cooking.
- 93% lean ground turkey
- white button mushrooms
- sweet onion
- garlic powder
There are other things you can add to the burger mix, but some of them aren’t very allergy friendly. If you desire, you can add Worcestershire sauce, breadcrumbs, or fresh herbs. I don’t think this recipe needs those things, but you are free to add them if you like!
We love these all year round! I usually make them in a frying pan, so I don’t have to wait until grilling season to enjoy them. They are delicious in warm and cold weather. Try these on a toasted bun with lots of pickles, tomatoes, and mustard – they are so good.
What type of ground turkey is best for burgers?
I like to use 93% lean ground turkey. You can use ground turkey that has a lower fat content, but you do run the risk of the burgers being dry. I find that the 93% lean is a good mix – there is enough fat to keep the burgers tasty and juicy.
Where can I find gluten free buns?
There are many brands of gluten free buns out there! Some brands to check out are Canyon Bakehouse and Little Northern Bakehouse. Canyon Bakehouse does contain eggs, but Little Northern Bakehouse is free of the top allergens.
If you are not gluten free, there are nut free and allergy friendly buns made by Pretzilla and Angelic Bakehouse. Pretzilla makes large buns as well as smaller buns, which are perfect for sliders.
Can I make these on the grill?
You can, but the mixture is a little bit loose, since it contains the mushrooms and onions. If you want to try grilling these, you will want to cover the grill grates with foil to prevent these burgers from falling apart.
What to serve with homemade turkey burgers:
- Oven Roasted French Fries
- Roasted Red Potatoes
- Savory Wild Rice Salad
- Garlic Brussels Sprouts
- Refrigerator Pickles
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
The Best Homemade Turkey Burgers.
- tomato slices
- dairy free cheese
- Place the sweet onion and mushrooms in a food processor, and pulse until finely chopped. (You can chop these veggies by hand, but it is much easier to incorporate into the burgers if you use the food processor).
- Put the ground turkey, onions and mushrooms, and spices in a mixing bowl. Use your hands to mix well.
- Shape the burgers into patties that are about ½ inch thick. Depending on what you want to do, you can do 4 large patties, or 8 smaller patties, like sliders.
- Place the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Gently set the patties in the skillet.
- Cook over medium heat until the patties are done on the bottom - about 5 minutes, then flip. Continue to cook until they are browned on both sides and reach a temperature of 165 degrees F in the middle of the patties.
- Serve warm in buns or toasted bread with the toppings of your choice.