Chocolate overnight oats are the perfect way to start off your day. This tasty recipe for vegan overnight oats is packed with fruit, protein, and lots of chocolate chips to satisfy your sweet tooth. It’s the perfect easy breakfast recipe.
Mornings can be so busy. When you’re busy trying to get yourself out the door, as well as others, it can be so difficult to eat a good breakfast.
That’s why I like breakfast recipes that I can prepare the night before. Whether it’s a batch of breakfast cookies, some cozy baked oatmeal, or these tasty vegan overnight oats, mornings are easier when breakfast is already made.
And when breakfast is as tasty as these chocolate overnight oats, it’s easy to hop out of bed. I look forward to a chocolatey breakfast topped with fresh, sweet strawberries.
Let your refrigerator do the work for you – it only takes about 5 minutes to prepare these the night before. The oats will soak all night long, and be ready to eat when you wake up.
What is overnight oatmeal?
Overnight oatmeal is simply oats that are soaked in liquid overnight to soften them. They don’t require any cooking – the liquid is absorbed and the oats become creamy and ready to eat.
Gluten Free Oats
If you’re on a gluten free diet, you do need to make sure the oats say that they are certified gluten free on the package.
There are several brands of certified gluten free oats available. If you can’t find them locally, check Amazon or Vitacost. I like GF Harvest brand, because they are made in a peanut and tree nut free facility. You can order GF Harvest on Amazon.
Dairy Free Milk
Any type of milk that works for your dietary needs should be just fine for soaking oats! We like to use unsweetened coconut milk, but dairy milk, nut milks, soy milk, flax milk, or anything at all will work just fine.
I recommend a neutral tasting dairy free milk for best results.
Soaking oats does make them easier to digest, because it breaks down the phytic acid. Not only does that make them easier on your digestive system, but it helps your body use the nutrients in oats more easily.
- certified gluten free oats
- non-dairy milk
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- maple syrup
- chocolate chips
Step by Step Instructions
- Place the oats and non-dairy milk in a mason jar. Refrigerate overnight.
2. In the morning, add the maple syrup and cocoa powder.
3. Stir the oatmeal well.
4. Top the oatmeal with sliced strawberries and dairy free chocolate chips.
You can put whatever you like in your overnight oatmeal!
- fresh blueberries, raspberries, cherries, or blackberries
- sliced banana
- pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds
- chia seeds or ground flax seed meal
- toasted coconut flakes
- sun butter or nut butter
- white chocolate chips or dark chocolate shavings
You can store overnight oatmeal in the refrigerator for up to five days. You can’t freeze overnight oats.
More Vegan Breakfast Recipes
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
The Best Vegan Chocolate Strawberry Overnight Oats.
- ½ cup certified gluten free old fashioned oats I like GF Harvest brand
- ¾ cup non-dairy milk I used So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- 1 ½ Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ Tablespoon maple syrup Or a different sweetener of your choice
- ½ cup strawberries chopped
- 2 Tablespoons dairy free chocolate chips
- Place the gluten free oats and non-dairy milk in a mason jar with a lid and stir or shake well. Put the lid on and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, add the cocoa powder and syrup and stir well.
- Add the fresh strawberries and chocolate chips, plus anything else you desire! Be creative. Enjoy!