Chocolate cupcakes with vanilla bean frosting are the perfect treat for any birthday party! These are vegan and gluten free and so decadent!
Oh my word.
It happened. Something I thought would happen eventually with two boys. We had our first broken bone this weekend. :(
Poor Baby Bee ran down the hallway, his brother started after him, and boom, down Baby Bee went and from the way he screamed, I knew something was really wrong. Once we got him to calm down a bit, he tried to stand, and he said, “I can’t! I can’t stand!” and crumpled to the ground. Ugh! It was awful. Off to the ER we went, and the doctor suspects a break in the growth plate in his lower leg. So he has a HUGE hard cast on his little leg – all the way up to the hip. My poor baby!
So now we have to follow up next week with the orthopedic doctor and then we’ll find out how long the cast will be on. There is a possibility that it’s not as bad is it seems, and the cast won’t have to be on for as long, so we are praying for that!
I hope that your weekend was better than mine! And if not, maybe some chocolate cupcakes will cheer you up?
These classic chocolate cupcakes are so easy to whip up. I’ve made them with regular flour and with gluten free flour, and they work very well both ways. I’ve made these with King Arthur Gluten Free Multi-Purpose Flour, as well as Namaste Perfect Flour blend and Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Blends.
This buttercream frosting is made a little bit more special with the addition of vanilla bean. If you don’t have a vanilla bean on hand, you could substitute a teaspoon of pure vanilla extract. But I do like seeing the tiny little flecks of vanilla bean in the frosting. It makes me happy.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Vanilla Bean Frosting.
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a cupcake pan with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the oil, water, vinegar, and vanilla extract. Stir until combined.
- Spoon the batter into the cupcake liners, filling them about ⅔ full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- Cool in pan, then move to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make the frosting: In a large bowl, beat the vegan buttery spread and the vanilla bean on medium speed. Add one cup of the powdered sugar and continue to beat. Add a little of the non-dairy milk, then more powdered sugar, and keep alternating until all the powdered sugar is in the mixing bowl. If the frosting is too thick, add a bit more non-dairy milk.
- Frost cooled cupcakes. Store the frosted cupcakes in the refrigerator.
Batter adapted from here.
These vegan chocolate cupcakes are:
- perfect for a birthday party
- a delicious treat to bake with your kids
- a decadent dessert that’s free of the top allergens
So how was your weekend? Did you do any baking? Any ER trips? (I hope not!)