Tender, delicious vegan vanilla cupcakes are topped with sweet mango buttercream icing. These cupcakes are light and wonderful – perfect for a birthday or any special occasion.
There’s nothing like fresh baked cupcakes to help celebrate a special occasion. Cupcakes are the perfect size, and there’s no end to the varieties you can make.
These vegan cupcakes are very moist and tender, and the mango frosting on top is the perfect complement to these soft cakes.
If you can’t have mango, you could use a little lemon juice or orange juice instead to flavor the icing.
- White Spelt Flour – I like to use white spelt flour, but you can also use all-purpose flour for this recipe. I haven’t tried this recipe with gluten free flour. If you need a gluten free cupcake recipe, try these vanilla cupcakes.
- Vegan Buttery Spread – Melted vegan buttery spread gives these cupcakes a nice butter flavor. You could also use coconut oil or canola oil if you prefer.
- Ataulfo Mangoes – These are the sweetest mangoes – so good! If you can’t find them, or mangoes are not in season, you could use any fruit juice or puree that you like. Orange juice, lemon juice, a little strawberry puree, any of those would work very well.
Step by Step Instructions
- Make the cupcake batter, and spoon it into a cupcake pan that’s lined with paper liners.
2. Bake at 375 degrees F for about 20 minutes, until the cupcakes spring back when pressed.
3. Allow the cupcakes to cool, then frost with the mango buttercream icing.
Store leftover cupcakes in the refrigerator. They should stay fresh for about 3 days.
More Vegan Cupcakes
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Vegan Cupcakes with Mango Icing.
For the cupcakes:
For the icing:
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar sifted
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Ataulfo mango puree I just scraped a spoon down the side of the mango and let the juiciest puree fall into the bowl
- 1 Tablespoon water more or less to get the consistency you desire
Make the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Insert cupcake liners into a muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the melted vegan buttery spread, sugar, water, vanilla, and lemon juice.
- Add the flour, salt, and baking soda, and quickly mix together. Spoon the batter into the cupcake liners, filling them about ⅔ full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. The cupcakes will be golden and should spring back when you touch them. Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan before you frost them.
Make the frosting:
- Sift the powdered sugar into a bowl, then add the mango puree and water. Mix well with a mixer on medium speed.
- Spread the frosting on the cooled cupcakes.
Cake recipe adapted from Veg Web.