Try a bowl of creamy, delicious vegan corn chowder this summer. This fresh and delicious soup is the perfect way to use fresh corn and potatoes from the Farmer’s market. You’re sure to love this dairy free soup!
I love summertime, don’t you? After a bitterly cold winter, it feels so good to feel the sun shine down on us again.
All of the fresh spring and summer produce inspires my menu in the warmer months. We love to make lighter salads and pasta dishes in the summer, but sometimes you just want a bowl of soup, even in the warmer weather.
Summer vegetables like corn, carrots, peppers, potatoes, and peas are perfect for making delicious, fresh soup. I know we are always eager for sweet corn once the end of summer arrives.
- Onion – I used a red onion, but you can definitely use a sweet onion if you like.
- Vegetable Stock – I like Kitchen Basics Vegetable Stock. Use whatever brand you’re comfortable with. You could also use chicken stock if you aren’t vegan.
- Corn – I love this soup with fresh corn. If corn isn’t in season, you can use frozen corn or canned corn.
- Coconut Cream – This is the secret to the extra creamy quality of this soup. I love the richness of this soup base, and it’s all due to the coconut cream. If you can’t have coconut, you could use a half cup of a different non-dairy milk, and thicken it with a tablespoon of cornstarch.
- Spices – Dried spices like oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, and smoked paprika enhance the flavor of this soup. The smoked paprika is a delicious addition – be sure to look for it at the grocery store.
You could serve this corn chowder with some side salads, like this quinoa salad, macaroni salad, or green bean salad. You could also serve it as a first course at a barbecue, along with roasted chicken or vegan sloppy joes.
Try topping this soup with:
- fresh herbs, like chives, dill, or parsley
- diced tomatoes
- avocado or guacamole
- bacon crumbles or vegan bacon
You can store leftover chowder in the refrigerator. It should stay fresh for about 4 days.
If you’d like to freeze this soup, I recommend putting individual portions in freezer safe containers or bags and storing in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
The Tastiest Vegan Corn Chowder.
- Shuck the corn and use a knife to slice off the kernels. Set the kernels aside.
- Place the vegan buttery spread and onions in a soup pot, and turn the heat to medium. Cook for about 5 minutes, until the onion starts to soften.
- Add the potatoes, corn kernels, spices, and vegetable stock. Raise the heat to high, and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Simmer the soup for about 20 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the coconut cream, and add more salt, pepper, or spicees if desired.
- Serve soup garnished with fresh chives.