There’s nothing like warm chocolate sauce on a scoop of your favorite ice cream! This vegan recipe is rich, delicious, and so chocolatey. Serve with ice cream, cake, or just eat it straight out of the jar with a spoon.
We’re headed into summer weather, and that means it’s getting to be ice cream season. There’s nothing better than delicious dairy free ice cream – except for maybe ice cream sundaes.
And if they’re made with amazing homemade vegan chocolate sauce? Sign me up!
Many of us with food allergies avoid ice cream parlors because of the hazards they contain. Nuts in ice cream, nuts in toppings, ice cream that contains dairy, you know how it goes. There’s such a huge risk from cross contamination.
It can be a bit frustrating because sometimes you just want to treat yourself to an awesome ice cream sundae with hot fudge and toppings.
You can still enjoy these kinds of desserts, even if you have multiple food allergies. You just have to get creative and make them yourself.
The first step is to find a brand of dairy free ice cream you love. We like So Delicious brand, but you’ll need to do your research and find a brand that works for your needs. Then the second step is to make this vegan hot fudge sauce. It’s SO rich and decadent – you’ll want to eat it by the spoonful!
What kind of non-dairy milk is best for this recipe?
I used unsweetened coconut milk, because it has a very neutral flavor. You can use any non-dairy milk that works for your dietary needs. If you use a milk that has a stronger taste, that will effect the taste of this chocolate sauce.
What to serve with this chocolate sauce:
- the best vegan chocolate cake
- dairy free cookies and cream ice cream
- extra creamy chocolate ice cream
This makes a lot of chocolate sauce, so you can definitely save it and enjoy it throughout the week. Just store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
I’m not going to lie – my favorite way to eat this is after it’s been chilled. It has a delicious pudding like texture when it’s cold – I could eat it by the spoonful!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Vegan Chocolate Sauce from Scratch.
- 1 ½ Tablespoons vegan buttery spread
- 1 ½ Tablespoons gluten free flour blend or regular flour, or cornstarch
- 1 ¼ cup non-dairy milk I used So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup organic cane sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup dairy free chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Melt the buttery spread in a heavy bottomed sauce pan. Add the gluten free flour and stir for a few minutes. Make sure to stir well to remove any lumps.
- Slowly drizzle in the non-dairy milk. Stir constantly until it starts to thicken.
- Add the cocoa, sugar, and salt, and whisk thoroughly. Keep stirring until it is the desired consistency. Don’t let it boil. If it starts to get too thick, drizzle in a little more non-dairy milk.
- Turn the heat down, and add the chocolate chips and vanilla extract. Stir until the chocolate chips are melted.
- If you have some lumps from the flour, you can use an immersion blender to blend this sauce until it's smooth.
This post was originally published in October 2013. It has been updated.