Zucchini, corn, and tomato rice bowls are a fresh and easy meal to enjoy in the summer! Farm fresh produce really shines in this recipe.
Do you ever feel puzzled about what to eat for dinner? Or overwhelmed at the thought of having to cook every meal? Or is it just me?
Sometimes we get into a little rut, where we find something that we all like, and we keep making it. A little repetition is okay, but then we wear that dish out, you know? Everyone gets sick of it.
But I don’t have that problem so much in the summer. One thing that I love about this time of year is the number of things that are in season right now and are so readily available in the store and at the Farmer’s Market. Having good, fresh ingredients on hand makes meal planning so much more fun for me.
I really debated about sharing these zucchini, tomato, corn, and rice bowls because they are so simple. Buuut…it really really really tastes so good, and is my favorite thing to eat right now. I think that simple dishes with real food ingredients make the best meals, don’t you?
If you have a garden, in a few weeks you’ll likely have more zucchini and tomatoes than you know what to do with. Add some corn, a little seasoning, mix it all up and serve it over rice to make a simple and delicious dinner that everyone will love. Unless they hate corn and zucchini, then they will probably hate this dish. ;) But that’s highly unlikely, so we won’t worry about that right now.
Zucchini, Corn, and Tomato Rice Bowls.
- 3 ears corn kernels cut off
- 5 small zucchini
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups cooked rice
- Cook the onion in the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, until it starts to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and corn kernels, and cook for a few minutes until tender. The zucchini should be softer, but still bright green.
- Add the Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper and stir. At the last minute add the cherry tomatoes and stir.
- Place the cooked rice in bowls and top with the vegetables.
That’s it…it’s so easy, right? It’s almost embarrassing actually. But with fresh summer produce, this veggie and rice bowl is out of this world. And it’s so pretty! Especially if you don’t overcook it. The bright yellow, green, and red colors are so gorgeous and just say summer to me!
How is your summer garden doing? Do you have any vegetables coming in yet?