Mmmm….apples, cinnamon, and pancakes! Yum!
This was the perfect weekend breakfast. I love to make pancakes or waffles on the weekend and these were really good! I especially like to add a little more flavor to my pancakes in the fall, apple, or pumpkin, or chocolate chips…all good additions in my book.
These are really easy, and they get pretty light and fluffy, which is wonderful, because sometimes egg free pancakes can be a little chewy, which is not my favorite quality in a pancake.
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 t. apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 T. baking powder
- 1½ T. sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 T. melted vegan buttery spread – plus a bit more for the pan
- ⅓ t. cinnamon
- ⅓ c. unsweetened apple sauce
- Put the dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk together with a fork.
- Add the wet ingredients, stir. Let everything sit for a few minutes so the vinegar and the baking powder react and the batter starts to rise.
- Meanwhile, you should be heating your frying pan and about a tablespoon of buttery spread over medium heat. We have an electric stove and I put it at about 5. The secret to good pancakes, (not just these) is to get your pan nice and hot before you spoon the batter in.
- When the butter is melted and the pan is good and hot, spoon your batter in, and turn the heat down a tad, to medium low. Once the edges of the pancake look done, and you see a few little bubbles forming in the pancakes, flip them over. DON’T WANDER AWAY! I am a big multi-tasker, and I just cannot leave the pancake pan when cooking. They will burn. Believe me, I’ve done it many a time.
- Once done, remove from pan and add more buttery spread as needed for the next round.
So do you have a favorite pancake pan? I have a cast iron pan that I got recently and Ihaven’t used it for pancakes yet. This is the Calphalon pan that I use for now, and I really like it. (Affiliate link).
Enjoy with your favorite maple syrup!
These are not gluten free, since they are made with spelt, which although it is lower in gluten, is not gluten free. If you are looking for a gluten free pancake recipe, I posted one here.