Vegan banana pancakes are fluffy, light, and full of sweet banana flavor. These are perfect for a weekend breakfast!
Is there anything better than a pancake breakfast on a Saturday morning?
I make pancakes regularly here, but I was in the mood for something different, so I thought I’d try banana pancakes. I had a super over ripe banana in the freezer, so I defrosted it, mixed up the batter, and we had a nice stack of vegan banana pancakes for breakfast.
I was a little worried that the very ripe banana would make the batter too heavy, but these pancakes still turned out very light and fluffy. They had just the right amount of banana flavor – it was there, but not overpowering. Both boys loved these, so I’ll be making them again soon.
To make sure that these vegan banana pancakes get done in the middle, you want to cook them low and slow – keep the heat on low. I know it’s hard to do when you want your pancakes in a hurry! But it’s necessary. I have an electric range so I kept the burner set at about 3 or 4. They take a little longer to cook, but they turn out perfectly golden brown and tender.
Vegan Banana Pancakes.
- 1 over ripe banana Very over ripe, I keep mine in the freezer
- 1 3/4 cups white spelt flour all purpose flour is also okay
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons baking powder
- 3 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- vegan buttery spread for the pan
In a large bowl, mash the banana. Add the canola oil, vanilla, and coconut milk. Stir to combine.
Add the white spelt flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix together.
Place a tablespoon of vegan buttery spread in a large skillet, and heat over medium low heat.
Once the pan is hot, spoon the batter into the pan. Cook the pancakes low and slow, it may take about 3-4 minutes on each side. Once the pancakes are done around the edges, flip them over. Cook for about 3 or 4 minutes more, then remove from pan.
Repeat with remaining pancakes. Top with butter and syrup.
These pancakes are so easy to make and so perfect for weekend breakfasts! Kids and adults love these.
Tips for making these vegan banana pancakes:
- Make sure you wait a few minutes for the baking powder to make the batter puff up – that’s what makes these pancakes nice and fluffy.
- When you are ready to fry them, use a fair amount of vegan buttery spread – you don’t want any pancakes sticking to the pan! Don’t raise the heat too high or these might burn from the sugar in the bananas.
- Two things that I think make frying pancakes easier are a good frying pan and a very good, thin, metal spatula. We are not a fan of Teflon pans in this house – we stay away from those for health reasons. I love this pan from Calphalon and my favorite spatula is similar to this one. (affiliate links)