Sweet potato chickpea curry is a hearty and delicious meal the whole family will love!
Sweet potato chickpea curry is one of my favorite dinner recipes these days.
You might be thinking, hmm…sweet potatoes in curry? I don’t know about that.
Okay, I hear you. Let me just walk you through the super scientific recipe process that went on in my head:
“I’m starving! We have sweet potatoes…and coconut milk. And chickpeas. I love all these things. Can I combine them into a big pot of curry?!”
I did combine everything, and it was so tasty. The End.
Well, not really…I had to photograph it, and then eat it, and now I’m sharing it with you! And hopefully you’ll love it, too, because it’s super easy, and super healthy, and super delicious.
Sweet potatoes blend in nicely with the spices and texture of curry. It’s a match made in heaven! ;)
This sweet potato chickpea curry is:
- the perfect hearty vegan dinner option
- a delicious family friendly meal
- naturally free of the top 8 allergens
Sweet Potato Chickpea Curry.
- 1 sweet onion chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and cut into small cubes
- 2 Tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk I used SO Delicious brand
- 1 can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup frozen peas
- Basmati rice prepared according to package directions
Place the olive oil, chopped onion, and spices in a large skillet, and cook over medium heat until the onion is soft, about 7 minutes.
Add the diced sweet potatoes, full fat coconut milk, and unsweetened coconut milk and raise the heat to just above medium. Simmer for about 15 minutes until the sweet potatoes are tender.
Add the chickpeas and stir. Cook for a few more minutes, then add the peas. Continue to cook until the peas are cooked through but still bright green.
Season with more salt if desired. Serve over Basmati rice.
Have you ever put sweet potatoes in curry? What did you think?
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Easy and Healthy Baked Sweet Potato Fries. - April 28, 2017
- Easy Dairy Free Overnight Oatmeal (Gluten Free, Vegan). - April 26, 2017
- Homemade Dairy Free Ranch Dressing. - April 7, 2017