Enjoy this homemade magic shell on all your ice cream sundaes – it’s made with simple, healthy ingredients!
Who remembers Magic Shell? Was it something you ate when you were growing up? Didn’t you love putting it on ice cream and then using your spoon to crunch through that chocolatey shell? So fun.
I realized the other day that my boys have never had magic shell. I decided to make a quick and easy refined sugar free version for them to try. I made them each a bowl of ice cream, poured this homemade magic shell on top, and said, “Who wants to try magic shell?” You should have seen their blank faces. “What’s magic shell?” “I know, it’s like a snail shell!” Yikes. I clearly had missed the mark as far as their ice cream topping education goes. :)
Homemade magic shell - delicious and refined sugar free! Click To Tweet
They loved it, of course! And hopefully your family will, too. It’s a fun addition to any occasion that calls for an ice cream sundae.
This homemade magic shell recipe is:
- vegan, gluten free and paleo friendly
- easy to make
- a healthier version of a classic childhood treat
- a great way to use healthy coconut oil (my favorite brand – affiliate link)
Homemade Magic Shell (Refined Sugar Free).
- 1/2 cup coconut oil measured solid, then melted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/4 Tablespoons maple syrup*
Place the coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl and heat for about 10-15 seconds or until melted.
Stir in the maple syrup and unsweetened cocoa powder.
Whisk well with a fork.
Drizzle generously over the ice cream of your choice.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator. You will need to heat the leftovers before serving.
Recipe Notes*Honey is also an option if you prefer - it's not a vegan option, of course.
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Decadent Dairy Free Chocolate Pudding. - July 24, 2017
- Vegan KFC Copycat Coleslaw. - July 17, 2017
- First Birthday Smash Cake (Gluten Free, Allergy Friendly). - July 12, 2017