Vegan chocolate coconut cake is topped with a rich chocolate glaze for an extra decadent dessert!
Poor Baby Bee is getting SIX teeth in at the same time. Six. All four two-year molars, plus his two upper canines. Poor thing. He is such a drooly mess, and keeps pointing at his mouth. We’ve been trying to keep him comfortable with the baby motrin, but our nights have been very rough lately. Sleep is in short supply. The lack of sleep plus the last days of winter are making me a little bit crazy! I can’t wait to see some green grass and daffodils and leaves on trees.
We have a little ways to go to get to spring, but in the meantime, I thought I’d share this vegan chocolate coconut cake that I made a week or so ago when we had company. It was really rich and chocolatey, and in my sleep deprived state, I’m wishing I had a big piece of it for breakfast right now. :)
Cake can be breakfast, right?
I’ve made some variations of chocolate cake through the years, but I really like this version the best. I added coconut oil to the cake batter and to the glaze, and it really adds something special to this dessert. I like the large flakes of coconut for the top, because they look so pretty, but you can use any coconut that you have on hand.
Vegan Chocolate Coconut Cake with Rich Chocolate Glaze.
Rich and delicious vegan chocolate coconut cake that's dairy and egg free! This decadent dessert is perfect for a special occasion!
- 1½ cups flour You can use white spelt flour, all purpose flour, or gluten free flour according to your dietary needs.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup coconut oil melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/8 cup non-dairy milk
- extra coconut oil and cocoa powder for the loaf pan
For the topping:
- 1 cup dairy free chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan with coconut oil, and dust with a little bit of cocoa powder.
Put the dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk with a fork. Add the coconut oil, vanilla, vinegar, non-dairy milk, and water, and mix on medium speed.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees about 40-50 minutes. The top should spring back when pressed. Remove from oven and allow to cool in the pan for about an hour or so then remove by loosening the edges with a knife and inverting the pan to free the cake. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the glaze: Put the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 45 seconds, then stir. Microwave for 15 seconds at a time, stirring in between, until chocolate chips are melted and smooth. Stir in teaspoon of coconut oil.
- Pour the chocolate glaze over the completely cooled cake. Sprinkle the coconut flakes over the top.
*I have made this with gluten free flour before - it works just fine! It will be a denser cake and will not rise quite as much, but is still very delicious. Namaste Perfect Flour Blend, Enjoy Life, or King Arthur all work well.
Batter adapted from this recipe.
Note: This vegan chocolate coconut cake is a great recipe to make for different diets. Adjust the flour used for your needs. I’ve tested it multiple ways, and it has turned out well every single time!
Here’s hoping for more sleep, and more chocolate cake breakfasts! :)