This vegan cheesy broccoli soup is so warm and comforting on a chilly day! It’s dairy free, but you’d never know it, since it’s full of flavor and so creamy. Serve this with crispy homemade gluten free crackers or your favorite bread.
There’s nothing like a bowl of hot soup on a chilly day. A cozy pot of soup on the stove will fill your house with a delicious aroma and keep you warm inside.
Cheesy broccoli soup is one of my all time favorite soups. The creamy, cheesy soup base, the carrots, onions, and broccoli – all these ingredients come together to make a deliciously comforting recipe.
If you’re dairy free, you might wonder about making a creamy soup. It can be done! You just need the right ingredients. We love dairy free creamy potato soup, cheesy vegetable soup, and of course this easy broccoli soup.
Dairy Free Milk
There are many good dairy substitutes available these days. This vegan broccoli soup works well with unsweetened coconut milk beverage from the refrigerated section, but it would also work well with rice milk or almond milk. Even flax milk would be a good choice for this recipe.
Choose a neutral tasting dairy free milk for best results. You can read more about using non-dairy milk in my guide to dairy substitutes.
Dairy Free Cheese
You can experiment with what type of vegan cheese you like. For this recipe, I like the Daiya Cheddar block cheese or the Cheddar Style Slices. Finely chop the vegan cheese before adding it to the soup, and it will add a good creaminess and a nice cheddar flavor.
If Daiya doesn’t work for you, feel free to try any brand of non-dairy cheese that works for your dietary needs.
- vegan buttery spread
- chopped onion
- non-dairy milk
- vegetable broth
- broccoli florets
- salt and pepper
- vegan cheddar cheese
Step by Step Instructions
- Saute the chopped onion in the vegan buttery spread. Stir in the flour.
2. Add the non-dairy milk and broth. Simmer for about 10 minutes, whisking regularly. It will start to thicken.
3. Once the soup base is thickened, add the carrots and broccoli.
4. Cook for about 15 minutes until the veggies are tender. Puree with an immersion blender.
5. Add the vegan cheese and stir until it melts.
- You can use frozen broccoli if you like.
- Cauliflower could be used in place of broccoli.
- You can leave the vegan cheese out, or use a different flavor of cheese if you prefer.
- Nutritional yeast could also be used instead of vegan cheese.
Watch the video below to see how easy it is to make this soup.
More Vegan Soups
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Homemade Vegan Cheesy Broccoli Soup.
- 1 Tablespoon vegan buttery spread
- ½ cup onion chopped
- ¼ cup vegan buttery spread
- ¼ cup gluten free flour blend or regular flour
- 2 cups non-dairy milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups broccoli florets coarsely chopped
- 1 cup carrots shredded
- ⅓ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 6 ounces vegan cheddar cheese finely chopped
- Place the chopped onion and 1 tablespoon of vegan buttery spread in a large pot, and cook over medium heat until softened.
- Add the ¼ cup vegan buttery spread and the gluten free flour, and whisk together until there are no lumps.
- Slowly add the non-dairy milk and vegetable broth, and whisk well. Simmer for about 10 minutes, whisking often. It will start to thicken.
- Add the broccoli and carrots, and cook over low heat until tender, about 15 minutes. Add the salt and pepper.
- Puree the soup using a hand blender. You can decide how smooth you want your soup to be – I like to leave some pieces of vegetables in there.
- Add the vegan cheddar cheese and stir well over low heat until it melts. Season with more salt and pepper if desired.