A warm and cozy sausage lentil soup is just the thing for chilly days! This heart soup is loaded with sweet potatoes, lentils, sausage, and carrots and is gluten free and dairy free.
There’s nothing like a cozy soup on a cold day, is there? A hearty bowl of soup, some gluten free crackers, and maybe a salad – it’s the perfect healthy lunch or dinner. This sausage lentil soup is naturally gluten free, dairy free, and free of the top 8 allergens. It’s a hearty, delicious, allergy friendly soup.
This sausage lentil soup is really filling with the addition of sweet potatoes – they add fiber and a nice texture as well.
- olive oil
- sweet potatoes
If you don’t like sweet potatoes, you can do regular potatoes. And if you would prefer to leave the sausage out, you can definitely do that.
Any variety of lentils will work in this recipe, but if you use red lentils, the cooking time will be shorter and they are definitely mushier than green or black lentils.
If you don’t have lentils, you can use beans like navy beans or pinto beans.
To make this vegan, you can use vegan sausages and vegetable broth. You could also leave the sausage out – this will still be delicious!
Store leftover soup in the refrigerator in an airtight container. It should stay fresh for about 4 days.
You can freeze this soup – it should stay fresh in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More Soup Recipes
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Sausage Lentil Sweet Potato Autumn Soup.
- Saute onions, carrots and garlic in olive oil, over medium heat until softened.
- Add sausage, and cook, browning on all sides. Once the sauce is cooked, remove from the pot and slice. Then add the sausage pieces back to the pot.
- Pour in broth, one cup water and scrape up brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add lentils and sweet potatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover. Cook on low for 30-40 minutes until lentils and sweet potatoes are tender. Check the liquid level – if it gets too low, add a ½ cup of water.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy with gluten free crackers or bread and butter.