Sweet potato noodles, onions, peppers, and black beans combine to make a delicious southwest lunch bowl!
Summer time is when I like to step back a little bit from social media and the screen. Just to get a little break. Whenever I take these kind of breaks, it seems like my mind clears, and I start to zero in on projects that need to be done around the house. Darryl hides during these times. ;)
This month, I have been thinking and thinking about this one room in our house. It’s sort of an extra room – a breezeway between the house and garage that was made into an addition to the house years ago. It has been a family room, a teaching studio for violin lessons, my office, and our homeschool room over the years. It’s kind of like the Room of Requirement – it just becomes whatever I need it to be. :)
Anyway, I have been thinking about how it just isn’t working for us these days. We needed a larger table and chairs for when we have guests, and we needed to rearrange the storage. Basically, we needed a dining room that could also be used for working and homeschooling. So that’s been my project this past week. We found a secondhand table and chairs that I love, and I’ll be refinishing them soon. I’m thinking of something like this. I can’t wait to share how this room turns out!
We’ve needed easy meals while our house has been turned upside down with this project, and these sweet potato noodles are just perfect. Some simple caramelized onions and peppers, spiced black beans, sweet potato noodles, and cilantro make a healthy and filling lunch or dinner.
Sweet potato noodles are some of my favorite noodles to make with the spiralizer. Zucchini noodles are also wonderful, but there’s just something about the bright orange sweet potato noodles and their subtle sweetness that makes them extra fun.
If you’re looking for more spiralizer recipes, try these garlic zoodles with chickpeas.
Southwest Sweet Potato Noodles.
- 2 medium sized sweet potatoes peeled
- 1 large sweet onion sliced thin
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper sliced thin
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 15 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper
- fresh cilantro
- Optional: avocado salsa, green onions
- Place the sliced onion and bell pepper in a large skillet with the olive oil. Cook over medium low heat until they start to caramelize, about 15-20 minutes.
- Place the black beans, spices, and 2/3 cup water in a sauce pan. Cook over medium heat.
- Use your spiralizer to make the sweet potato noodles. Once the onions and peppers are somewhat caramelized, add the sweet potato noodles to the pan.
- Cook, stirring often, over medium heat until the noodles are tender, about 10 -12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the sweet potato noodles into four bowls and top with the black beans. Garnish with fresh cilantro, salsa, green onions, and avocado if desired.
These southwest sweet potato noodles are:
- colorful, flavorful, and healthy
- a good source of vitamins A and C
- naturally gluten free, allergy friendly, and vegan
- fun to make and eat!
Have you tried sweet potato noodles? What’s your favorite way to eat them?