A warm and delicious way to start the day, this chocolate cherry vegan baked oatmeal is sure to be a hit with both kids and adults! Make it the night before to keep your morning simple and stress free!
Are you an early riser? Do you like to get up with the sun, get ready, and take your time making a nice breakfast?
Or would you rather rest as long as possible, without sacrificing a delicious breakfast?
If you like your sleep, but also like your breakfast, this vegan baked oatmeal is for you.
This breakfast is almost like a dessert – a tasty oatmeal base is studded with juicy cherries and melty chocolate chips. This is one of my all-time favorite breakfast recipes.
It’s hearty, easy to make, and the flavor is just right.
The great thing about baked oatmeal is that it can be prepared the night before, and stored in the refrigerator. In the morning, just pop it into the oven before you start getting ready, and by the time you’re showered and dressed, this warm breakfast will be waiting for you and your family.
Baked oatmeal is oatmeal that’s made in a casserole dish and baked in the oven rather than on the stove top. It often has fruit, butter, and sweetener baked inside. Because it’s all in one dish, you can just stick it in the oven and don’t have to spend time standing at the stove and stirring.
The texture of this oatmeal is firmer than what it would be if you made it in a pan. I like that – it’s almost like a fruit crisp.
I like to eat this as is, but you can definitely eat it with dairy free yogurt or some dairy free milk in the bowl.
Gluten Free Oats
Although oats are a gluten free grain, they are often cross contaminated with other gluten containing grains at the processing plant, unless the label says “certified gluten free.”
Be sure to read the label – it needs to say “certified gluten free” for you to be sure that the oats are safe for those with Celiac Disease.
The brand that works for our family is GF Harvest, which is also processed in a peanut and tree nut free facility.
Traditionally, baked oatmeal does include some eggs to hold it together. This recipe includes two flax eggs, which do a great job of replacing regular eggs. If you can’t do flax seeds, you could use chia seed egg replacers, or try unsweetened applesauce instead.
- flax seed meal
- vegan buttery spread
- coconut oil
- maple syrup
- vanilla extract
- brown sugar
- gluten free oats
- baking powder
- chocolate chips
Step by Step Instructions
- Make a flax seed egg replacer, and combine that with the other wet ingredients.
- Add the oats, baking powder, and salt to the wet ingredients.
- Stir in the cherries and chocolate chips. Spoon into a casserole dish.
- Refrigerate overnight if desired. Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes.
If you don’t have cherries, you can use any berry that you like! Try raspberries or strawberries. You could even use dried cherries if you have those on hand.
I use both coconut oil and vegan buttery spread, because I like the flavor that comes from using both. You can use one or the other if you prefer.
Try white chocolate chips instead of regular chocolate for a change.
You can also add some sunflower seeds or coconut flakes to the top of this dish for a little more crunch.
Store leftover oatmeal in the refrigerator. It should stay fresh for about 5 days.
I have not tried freezing this, and don’t know if it would work out very well.
More Vegan Breakfast Ideas
- Chocolate Strawberry Overnight Oats
- Chocolate Cherry Donuts
- Pumpkin Muffins with Streusel Topping
- Cherry Chocolate Energy Bites
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Chocolate Cherry Vegan Baked Oatmeal.
- 2 Tablespoons golden ground flax seed meal
- 6 Tablespoons water
- 3 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread melted
- 6 Tablespoons organic coconut oil melted
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 cups certified gluten free old-fashioned oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cherries fresh or frozen
- ½ cup dairy free chocolate chips
- In a small bowl or cup, combine the golden ground flax seed meal and water. Set aside for a few minutes until it becomes like a gel.
- In a large bowl, combine the melted vegan buttery spread, melted coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla extract, brown sugar, and the flax seed gel. Stir well.
- Add the certified gluten free oats, baking powder, and salt. Stir well again.
- Add the pitted cherries and dairy free chocolate chips, and stir to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into a casserole dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight if desired, or bake immediately.
- When you are ready to bake this oatmeal, remove the dish from the refrigerator and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Uncover the casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the chocolate chips are melty.