This hearty potato and corn chowder is a quick and easy meal that’s ideal for winter nights. This soup is warming and flavorful, and it’s made with simple pantry ingredients!
Sometimes you just need a good bowl of soup. Whether it’s a busy weeknight, or a lazy weekend, a hearty bowl of broccoli soup, turkey chili, or this potato and corn chowder is the perfect way to warm up.
On those busy nights when you barely have time to make dinner, this recipe is super easy to throw together. It takes a few minutes to peel and dice potatoes, but everything else is probably already in your pantry.
If you have a corn allergy, you can substitute another vegetable of your choice. Some options would be: peas and carrots, diced sweet potatoes, or white beans. Whatever vegetables you include in this chowder, this is sure to be a warm and cozy soup your family will enjoy!
- Corn – To keep this simple, I recommend using frozen corn kernels or canned corn. That makes this a soup you can make at any time of year!
- Potatoes – I love using Yukon Gold potatoes because they have a wonderful buttery flavor. You could use white potatoes or red skin potatoes if you prefer.
- Broth – Either chicken broth or vegetable broth will work well in this recipe.
- Non-Dairy Milk – Any non-dairy milk with a neutral flavor will be fine in this chowder. You could try rice milk, soy milk, coconut milk, or any other variety. Use the one that works best for your dietary needs.
Step by Step Instructions
- Place the chopped onions and potatoes in a pot with the olive oil. Cook for a few minutes without stirring, then use a spatula to scrape up all the brown bits.
- Add the broth and spices, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Add the non-dairy milk and simmer for a few more minutes.
- Top with green onions or fresh herbs and enjoy!
Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It should stay fresh for about 4 days.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Dairy Free Corn Chowder.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ cups onion chopped
- 2 cups potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 ½ cups frozen corn
- 32 ounces chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon gluten free worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup non-dairy milk
- green onions optional
- Place the olive oil in the bottom of a large soup pot. Stir in onions and potatoes, set to medium high heat and cook uncovered without stirring for three minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and use a metal spatula to scrape all the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add all of the other ingredients except the non-dairy milk and green onions and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the non-dairy milk. Simmer for a few minutes to let the flavors come together.
- Top with fresh green onions and serve immediately with gluten free crackers or bread.
lightly adapted from Desperation Dinners.