Cheesy garlic spinach rice is cozy, flavorful, dairy free and gluten free comfort food. Perfect for an easy weeknight meal!
See those words up there? ^^^^
“Cheesy” and “Garlic?”
Put those two words in the title of a recipe and I’m a happy camper. Cheesy garlic anything just has to be good. I would say that anything cheesy, creamy, and garlicky is pure comfort food to me.
This dish is so easy to make. Everything gets mixed up in one pot, and it comes together relatively quickly. You can serve cheesy garlic rice as a side dish, along with some chicken or fish, or go ahead make a meal out of it and just eat it by the bowlful.
It’s really so good, and kind of addicting. The nutty pop of the brown rice and the cheesy, creamy sauce make it very hard to resist.
It’s flexible, too. Use kale if you would rather, or even peas.
Not dairy free or gluten free ? Go ahead and use regular cheese and regular flour.
Serve it up in shallow pasta bowls for that restaurant feeling at home. (affiliate link)
This cheesy garlic spinach rice is:
- creamy and comforting
- an easy gluten free recipe
- perfect for a busy weeknight dinner
Cheesy Garlic Spinach Rice.
- 1 cup organic short grain brown rice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1 cup Daiya mozzarella cheese or dairy cheese if you are not dairy free
- 1 cup thawed and drained frozen chopped spinach
- 2/3 cup dairy free milk
- 1 Tablespoon gluten free flour blend
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Put the brown rice, olive oil, garlic, and chopped onion in a large pot along with 1 3/4 cups of water. Bring to a bowl, then reduce heat and cover. Cook until rice is tender, about 35-40 minutes.
When rice is done cooking, add the spinach and Daiya cheese. Stir until cheese is melted.
Add the dairy free milk and gluten free flour blend. Stir well until the sauce has thickened up.
Add the sea salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
It couldn’t be any easier! One pot, easy clean up, and a delicious and comforting meal your whole family will love!
I hope your family loves this as much as we do!
This post is part of my series: 31 Days of Gluten, Dairy, and Egg Free Soups, Salads, Sides & Sweets.
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Homemade Dairy Free Ranch Dressing. - April 7, 2017
- Vegan Chocolate Truffle Easter Eggs. - April 5, 2017
- Chocolate Gingerbread Mug Cake (Gluten Free and Vegan). - March 30, 2017