Cheesy garlic spinach rice is cozy, flavorful, dairy free and gluten free comfort food. Perfect for an easy weeknight meal!
See those words up there?
“Cheesy” and “Garlic?”
Put those two words in the title of a recipe and I’m a happy camper. Cheesy garlic anything just has to be good. I would say that anything cheesy, creamy, and garlicky is pure comfort food to me.
When you aren’t able to eat dairy or wheat, sometimes it feels like you miss out on comforting, easy recipes.
This is the perfect comforting, allergy friendly recipe, and it’s so easy to make. Everything gets mixed up in one pot, and it comes together relatively quickly. You can serve this cheesy garlic rice as a side dish, along with some chicken or fish, or go ahead make a meal out of it and just eat it by the bowlful.
Rice is a gluten free staple, and it is very versatile. If you’re looking for more tasty rice recipes, you may want to try vegan cheesy broccoli rice, creamy lentil wild rice soup, or this easy dairy free risotto.
This recipes is really so good, and has become a favorite at our house. The nutty pop of the brown rice and the cheesy, creamy sauce make it very hard to resist.
It’s flexible, too. Use kale if you would rather, or even peas.
Can I make this with dairy products?
Yes, that would work just fine! If you are not dairy free or gluten free, go ahead and use regular cheese and regular flour.
Where can I find rice made in an allergy friendly facility?
Lundberg brand rice is made in a rice only facility as far as I know (this is what I was told when I called them a while back). Always call and check with the company to make sure any brand or product is safe for your needs.
This cheesy garlic spinach rice is:
- creamy and comforting
- an easy gluten free recipe
- perfect for a busy weeknight dinner
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Cheesy Garlic Spinach Rice.
- 1 cup organic short grain brown rice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1 cup Daiya mozzarella cheese or dairy cheese if you are not dairy free
- 1 cup thawed and drained frozen chopped spinach
- ⅔ cup dairy free milk
- 1 Tablespoon gluten free flour blend
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Put the brown rice, olive oil, garlic, and chopped onion in a large pot along with 1 ¾ cups of water. Bring to a bowl, then reduce heat and cover. Cook until rice is tender, about 35-40 minutes.
- When rice is done cooking, add the spinach and Daiya cheese. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Add the dairy free milk and gluten free flour blend. Stir well until the sauce has thickened up.
- Add the sea salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Serve immediately.
It couldn’t be any easier! One pot, easy clean up, and a delicious and comforting meal your whole family will love!
I hope your family loves this as much as we do!
This post is part of my series: 31 Days of Gluten, Dairy, and Egg Free Soups, Salads, Sides & Sweets.