I’m thinking there are two responses to this post title right now.
1. “Creamed spinach! I love creamed spinach! Yay!”
2. “Creamed spinach? Yuck! Why? Yuck.”
I love creamed spinach. I was not a spinach fan growing up, but once I was out of my teens, spinach quickly became one of my favorite vegetables. Maybe because I needed more iron or something, who knows? Anyway, I still love it…in salad, in spaghetti sauce, and creamed spinach, which I make pretty often. Sometimes I’ll make it and eat it with toast for lunch, and then wonder if it is possible to eat too much spinach and how much is too much? And then decide it’s not possible, because it’s good for me, and it’s green, so why not eat it all?
This is a really nice side dish for Thanksgiving, just double or triple it depending on how many people you have to serve.
Easy Creamed Spinach - Vegan, Gluten Free.
- one small onion diced
- one 16 ounce bag frozen chopped spinach
- 3 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup dairy free cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Place the vegan buttery spread in a sauce pan. Add the chopped onion and cook over medium until the onion is tender, about 8 minutes.
Add the frozen spinach and cook until it's hot, stirring often, about ten minutes.
Add the almond milk, dairy free cream cheese, and spices.
Stir until combined and heated through.
Add more salt or pepper if desired.
So, what creamed spinach camp are you in? Love it or leave it?
This post is part of my series, 31 Days of Gluten Free, Dairy Free, and Egg Free Soups, Salads, Sides, and Sweets.
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Decadent Dairy Free Chocolate Pudding. - July 24, 2017
- Vegan KFC Copycat Coleslaw. - July 17, 2017
- First Birthday Smash Cake (Gluten Free, Allergy Friendly). - July 12, 2017