Crunchy, healthy crackers that are lightly sweetened – these oatmeal crackers are a perfect gluten free, allergy friendly snack!
You know, with all the cracker recipes I’ve made through the years…I had not made a sweet cracker yet.
No graham crackers or anything like that, which is super weird, because we love graham crackers.
Well, that’s all changed now, because I decided to try something new the other day when I made these cinnamon sugar oatmeal crackers. The first thing my son said when he bit into one was, “Yum, are these graham crackers?” They do have a graham cracker like quality, although the texture is a bit different – they aren’t quite as hard as a tradtional graham cracker.
These are lightly sweetened, and spiced with cinnamon both in the dough and on top of the cracker. I made my own oat flour by grinding oats in the food processor. The oat flour gives these a nice crunch, and adds some extra fiber to these crackers, too.
I cut these into triangle shapes for fun, but you can cut them into squares or rectangles if that’s easier! Don’t forget to sprinkle on the cinnamon sugar – that’s the perfect finishing touch!
- ½ cup certified gluten free old-fashioned oats
- ⅝ cup gluten free flour blend (I used the King Arthur Gluten Free Multi-Purpose Blend)
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1½ Tablespoons organic cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1½ Tablespoons vegan buttery spread, melted
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- ⅛-1/4 cup water (the amount may vary depending on the flour you use)
- cinnamon sugar for on top
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Put the gluten free old-fashioned oats in the food processor and process until a coarse flour forms.
- Put the melted vegan buttery spread in a bowl, and add the maple syrup and sugar. Stir well.
- Add the oat flour, gluten free flour blend, cinnamon, and salt. Stir.
- Add the water a little at a time, alternating with stirring, until the dough comes together into a ball.
- Place the ball of dough on parchment paper, and lay another piece of parchment on top.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the dough out to a thickness of ⅛ of an inch. Remove the top piece of parchment and transfer the dough to a cookie sheet.
- Score the dough into squares or triangles. Do not separate. Sprinkle water on top and smooth over the dough with your fingers. Dust the crackers with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 13-16 minutes.
- Let the crackers cool completely before breaking apart.
These were such a big hit with everyone over here – now I know to make a double batch next time!
Be sure to follow my Nut Free Snacks board on Pinterest for more snack ideas!
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Gluten Free and Vegan Sugar Cookie Bars. - February 13, 2017
- Chocolate Valentine Cupcakes (Gluten Free, Vegan). - February 9, 2017
- Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Sauce. - February 6, 2017